Posted to dev@yetus.apache.org by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org> on 2015/09/23 06:19:38 UTC

[DISCUSS] patch attribution

Hi folks!

Now that we're going to start getting patches into our own repository,
I'd like to discuss how we attribute authorship of patches from
non-committers. Personally, I've really liked the way things work for
git in the HBase community.

The commit author is set to the contributor (which is a different
piece of commit metadata than the one doing the committing). Then the
committer uses the git "signed-off-by" to include their name in the
commit message.

I really like this because as a community maintainer I can easily
parse the git history for information about contributions. (and check
it against similar data in jira)

What do other folks think?

--
Sean

Re: [DISCUSS] patch attribution

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.
+1

Also over in HBase, fwiw, if the contributor does not use format-patch to prepare something git am can handle, we apply the patch with the contributor's name in parenthesis after the jira identifier and title.

Posted by Sean Busbey <se...@gmail.com>.
On Sep 23, 2015 8:49 AM, "Alex Moundalexis" <al...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> +1
>
> Per Mark's note, instructions ought to be provided on how to generate
> patches in preferred format.
>
> Should also decide early whether to support PRs from GitHub and the plan
> for merging them, whether to allow GitHub to do the merge or whether to
> retrieve the patches and apply them.

I think I already turned on github integration, but I'll check this evening
to be sure.

What we can do with PRs is limited by the way the github <-> ASF
integration works. Essentially, PRs have to be merged by committers on the
CLI and can only be closed by the opener or a special phrase in the commit
message.

Re: [DISCUSS] patch attribution

Posted by Alex Moundalexis <al...@cloudera.com>.
+1