Posted to dev@openaz.apache.org by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org> on 2015/04/14 11:31:06 UTC

Project source

Hi all,

Great that we now have the initial project source code at Apache. Let's
discuss some next steps:

a) Website: Currently there is nothing at
http://openaz.incubator.apache.org/. Is someone willing to start adding
some content here? Some initial description of the project + a link to the
incubator proposal should suffice for now. Do we have any architecture
documents or the like that could be put online as well? Are there existing
websites to migrate over?

b) Source code formatting: The source uses tabs + contains some control m
characters (root pom). The norm at Apache is to use "spaces" indentation
instead of tabs in my experience, and normally 4 spaces at that. What do
you all think about changing this?

c) The code that has been merged is the AT&T + JP. Morgan code. What
remains to be merged?

d) All of the source/test code + poms etc. require the Apache header
license. Copyright notices should be moved to a NOTICE file in the root
directory. Use of @author annotations are also generally frowned upon at
Apache.

If we can get some agreement on initial steps then we can start creating
JIRAs. Are there existing JIRA/bugzilla tasks to migrate to Apache?

Colm.

--
Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder
http://coders.talend.com

Re: Project source

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Four Java source :

/*
 *  Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one
 *  or more contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file
 *  distributed with this work for additional information
 *  regarding copyright ownership.  The ASF licenses this file
 *  to you under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the
 *  "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance
 *  with the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at
 *
 *    http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
 *
 *  Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing,
 *  software distributed under the License is distributed on an
 *  "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY
 *  KIND, either express or implied.  See the License for the
 *  specific language governing permissions and limitations
 *  under the License.
 *
 */

For XML files :
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!--
  contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file distributed with
  The ASF licenses this file to You under the Apache License, Version 2.0
  (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with
  the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at

  limitations under the License.
-->

For property files :

#

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 12:00 PM, Farazath Ahamed <me...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Whats the license header we are supposed to use?
>
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2015, 3:01 PM Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Great that we now have the initial project source code at Apache. Let's
> > discuss some next steps:
> >
> > a) Website: Currently there is nothing at
> > http://openaz.incubator.apache.org/. Is someone willing to start adding
> > some content here? Some initial description of the project + a link to
> the
> > incubator proposal should suffice for now. Do we have any architecture
> > documents or the like that could be put online as well? Are there
> existing
> > websites to migrate over?
> >
> > b) Source code formatting: The source uses tabs + contains some control m
> > characters (root pom). The norm at Apache is to use "spaces" indentation
> > instead of tabs in my experience, and normally 4 spaces at that. What do
> > you all think about changing this?
> >
> > c) The code that has been merged is the AT&T + JP. Morgan code. What
> > remains to be merged?
> >
> > d) All of the source/test code + poms etc. require the Apache header
> > license. Copyright notices should be moved to a NOTICE file in the root
> > directory. Use of @author annotations are also generally frowned upon at
> > Apache.
> >
> > If we can get some agreement on initial steps then we can start creating
> > JIRAs. Are there existing JIRA/bugzilla tasks to migrate to Apache?
> >
> > Colm.
> >

> > --
> > Colm O hEigeartaigh
> >
> > Talend Community Coder
> > http://coders.talend.com

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: Project source

Posted by Farazath Ahamed <me...@gmail.com>.

Re: Project source

Posted by Farazath Ahamed <me...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Colm

Cloned and built without any errors :)

Re: Project source

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.

--
Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder
http://coders.talend.com

Re: Project source

Posted by Farazath Ahamed <me...@gmail.com>.

Re: Project source

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.

--
Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder
http://coders.talend.com

Re: Project source

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 5:27 PM, Hal Lockhart <ha...@oracle.com>
wrote:

> > b) Source code formatting: The source uses tabs + contains some control
> > m characters (root pom). The norm at Apache is to use "spaces"
> > indentation instead of tabs in my experience, and normally 4 spaces at
> > that. What do you all think about changing this?
>
> In general we want to conform to Apache standard/best practices. This
> sounds tricky to automate. Are there tools?

Depends on the IDE you are using. Most of them have a formatter. I do have
some configuration file for Eclipse, if needed.

RE: Project source

Posted by Hal Lockhart <ha...@oracle.com>.
Comments inline:

> a) Website: Currently there is nothing at
> http://openaz.incubator.apache.org/. Is someone willing to start adding
> some content here? Some initial description of the project + a link to
> the incubator proposal should suffice for now. Do we have any
> architecture documents or the like that could be put online as well?
> Are there existing websites to migrate over?

The existing project web page is here:

http://www.openliberty.org/wiki/index.php/OpenAz_Main_Page

We will probably move most of it over. However, I assume the same licensing considerations apply here as for the code, so I have not done any work on it yet. I have an action to investigate whether we can retain the current email archive at Liberty or whether we will have to move it to some other location.

> b) Source code formatting: The source uses tabs + contains some control
> m characters (root pom). The norm at Apache is to use "spaces"
> indentation instead of tabs in my experience, and normally 4 spaces at
> that. What do you all think about changing this?

In general we want to conform to Apache standard/best practices. This sounds tricky to automate. Are there tools?

> c) The code that has been merged is the AT&T + JP. Morgan code. What
> remains to be merged?

That is it. The "JP" code is actually all the code contributed to the project by various parties all of whom executed an Apache 2.0 license agreement, other than the work done at AT&T.

> d) All of the source/test code + poms etc. require the Apache header
> license. Copyright notices should be moved to a NOTICE file in the root
> directory. Use of @author annotations are also generally frowned upon
> at Apache.

This seems clearly to be a manual process.