Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Cory Riddell <co...@codeware.com> on 2011/10/11 17:01:42 UTC

zombie external

I have a working copy that insists it has an external but I can't figure
out why.

"svn propget svn:externals -R wc" returns no results.
"svn status wc" reports this:
"    X wc\util.lib"

How do I reconcile what's going on here? When I do "svn update wc" it
just hangs.

Cory

Re: zombie external

Posted by Cory Riddell <co...@codeware.com>.
> 2011/10/11 Cory Riddell <co...@codeware.com>:
>> I have a working copy that insists it has an external but I can't figure
>> out why.
>>
>> "svn propget svn:externals -R wc" returns no results.
>> "svn status wc" reports this:
>> "    X wc\util.lib"
>>
>> How do I reconcile what's going on here? When I do "svn update wc" it
>> just hangs.
> What version of svn?
>
> Delete "wc\util.lib" and try again?
The server is 1.6.13.

If I delete that file and do svn update, it just comes back. This is the
part that has me most confused because the directory does not have any
svn:externals properties on it (but it used to).

When I do an update, what directs the svn client to pull the external
file? It has to be something in the .svn directory, right?

> If you do not have any local changes in wc then you may delete wc as a
> whole and let svn up recreate it.

Yes, this is ultimately what I'm going to have to do. Unfortunately,
this has happened more than once and I'd really like to understand
what's going on.

Cory

Re: zombie external

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2011/10/11 Cory Riddell <co...@codeware.com>:
> I have a working copy that insists it has an external but I can't figure
> out why.
>
> "svn propget svn:externals -R wc" returns no results.
> "svn status wc" reports this:
> "    X wc\util.lib"
>
> How do I reconcile what's going on here? When I do "svn update wc" it
> just hangs.

What version of svn?

Delete "wc\util.lib" and try again?

If you do not have any local changes in wc then you may delete wc as a
whole and let svn up recreate it.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko