Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by hui <hu...@triplehop.com> on 2003/10/08 04:31:12 UTC

score for MultipleSearcher

Hi,
When I use the Mutliple index seach on one large index and one small index,
look like sometimes the documents from the small index get higher score
compared the documents from the big index. But when I look at the score
formular, this actaully should not happen. Both indices were created by
Lucene API 1.3rc.
Any idea aobut this?

Regards,
Hui

Re: score for MultipleSearcher

Posted by Ype Kingma <yk...@xs4all.nl>.
Hui,

On Tuesday 07 October 2003 19:31, hui wrote:
> Hi,
> When I use the Mutliple index seach on one large index and one small index,
> look like sometimes the documents from the small index get higher score
> compared the documents from the big index. But when I look at the score
> formular, this actaully should not happen. Both indices were created by
> Lucene API 1.3rc.
> Any idea aobut this?

This could happen in case the term weights are determined per index:
the fewer documents that contain a term, the higher the term weight,
(idf: inverse document frequency).
The default scores are not normalized for the idf term weights,
only for the query term weights.

As I'm still using 1.2, I have never tried the new 1.3 features for
searching multiple indexes. I would expect 1.3 to use the total
nr. of docs containing a term in searched all indexes together,
though.

Kind regards,
Ype.