Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Justin Rudd <jr...@pinetree-tech.com> on 2002/02/19 02:26:36 UTC

.NET Port of LogKit

Hello All!

I've worked on a variety of projects that all had different ways to log
information.  Some of them extensible, most of them not.  So I started using
log4net which is a .NET port of log4j, but I didn't like all the
configuration stuff I had to have in there because it either had to come
from a configuration file (which only applications can have) or an XML
element class.  Neither of which I liked.

As luck would have it, I ran across LogKit.  It has the same heirarchal
categories that log4j has minus the configuration headaches.  Unlike log4j,
there is no .NET port.  So I ported it.

You can download the bits that I have so far at
http://www.pinetree-tech.com/code/logkit.zip

It is version 0.9.15.0.  The reason being is because I don't have the
ContextMap code in their yet.  I'm still working on how .NET does thread
local storage.  Also I only have 2 log targets, Stream and TextWriter.  So
before I'm 1.0 complete, I need the FileStrategy, RotateStrategy,
ContextMap, and Priority filters.

In the ZIP file, you'll find a NAnt (http://nant.sourceforge.net/) build
script.  Its pretty simple right now.  I'm trying to get the Microsoft help
compiler so I can build the documentation.

I am wondering whether or not you all would like this in the CVS directory
of LogKit?  If not, no biggee.  I'll put in SourceForge.  Either way, for
right now you can download the code from the above link.

Justin Rudd

Re: .NET Port of LogKit

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
Hi,

For what it was worth it was me who encouraged Justin to submit this to the
list. I don't really know much about C# but it does look interesting from a
technical perspective.

If no one has any objections I would love to see this sit in an Avalon CVS to
watch how it evolves and so forth. Especially if one day I have to switch to
C# :)

So what does everyone say?

--
Cheers,