Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Norbert Wnuk <no...@gmail.com> on 2016/08/09 23:16:48 UTC

MNG-5930 - lack of system properties expansion

Hi All,
I was wondering whether the statement that lack of system properties
expansion in maven.config has be done by design and it is rather unlikely
to change it is still valid (MNG-5930, commented by Jason). Below a link to
the tiny change that would help me with i.e. MNG-4686, even the more narrow
filtering as described in MNG-5859 would be sufficient for me (mainly to
allow for project specific settings.xml files with i.e. different mirrors
that cannot be defined in pom.xml).
Wanted to confirm how desirable this change is / which approach would be
more likely to be accepted if at all.

https://github.com/norbertwnuk/maven/commit/c0d7b260a5a041584b4b71e428030f37af3102bb

Regards,
Norbert

Re: MNG-5930 - lack of system properties expansion

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi Norbert,

On 11/08/16 22:37, Norbert Wnuk wrote:
> Hi Karl,
> In our case this is mostly a matter of the paradigm where (hundreds of)
> projects are simple to setup & contribute, part of it is to have entire
> configuration in the repository - close to the source code. From maven
> perspective to have project specific settings.xml to adjust mirrors (yes -
> there are projects with their own repository manager), servers and
> sometimes proxies (things that cannot be defined in a pom.xml). Project
> specific settings.xml (-s) allows also to avoid problems with users
> specific overrides,

Can you give some examples of those user specific overrides?

All the other information I have read....

The point is settings.xml is system specific whereas .mvn/extension.xml,
.mvn/maven.config and .mvn/jvm.config is simply project specific.

Allowing the settings.xml into .mvn/ will violate the design goal here
which is good from my experience...really a separation of concerns..

Apart from that this would make it happen that people might checkin
passwords etc. along with their settings.xml which is very bad...at the
moment this is prevented by design...this can also lead into problems if
you would like to build older project states which would contain such
configuration might fail cause the outer environment has changed in the
meantime cause you have configured some proxies/mirrors/whatever in your
settings.xml which do not exist anymore or have changed...

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

Re: MNG-5930 - lack of system properties expansion

Posted by Norbert Wnuk <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi Karl,
In our case this is mostly a matter of the paradigm where (hundreds of)
projects are simple to setup & contribute, part of it is to have entire
configuration in the repository - close to the source code. From maven
perspective to have project specific settings.xml to adjust mirrors (yes -
there are projects with their own repository manager), servers and
sometimes proxies (things that cannot be defined in a pom.xml). Project
specific settings.xml (-s) allows also to avoid problems with users
specific overrides, (i.e. from multiple other projects) in their
.m2/settings.xml, for frequent switches between projects. MNG-4686
describes very similar use case except I prefer to have single settings.xml
file in .mvn directory to indicate project specific settings.xml by
convention.
The problem with .mvn/maven.config now is that settings.xml location must
be absolute to be able to invoke mvn command from sub-project level -
MNG-5859/MNG-5790. MNG-5930 is not my use case since I need only
${maven.multiModuleProjectDirectory}
expansion to effectively access all files in the repository. Generally
would like to have .mvn/settings.xml location treated the same like
extensions.xml / jvm.config / maven.config however the approach with
maven.config and ${maven.multiModuleProjectDirectory} property / all system
properties expansion seems to be less intrusive and slightly more generic.

Regards,
NW

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi,