Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by rb...@covalent.net on 2000/12/20 02:56:53 UTC

Restarting 2.0 on locus. :-)

Apache 2.0 is currently working on locus, including ALL virtual hosts.  I
need to re-compile using mpmt_pthread, and then I will be restarting the
server on port 8092.  I have only done the most basic testing so far, and
having more people do some testing and reporting errors would be VERY
cool.  I would ask that people are patient, if there are problems, report
them to new-httpd, and wait.  :-)  There are a lot of people working very
hard on 2.0, but we are only human.  :-)

In order to get the virtual hosts working, I needed to use the
NameVirtualHost * syntax, which makes me think that this is a FreeBSD
specific bug in the virtual host code, because it works just fine on my
Linux box.  I'll be debugging this problem on my own FreeBSD box
tonight.  For right now, the sites work.

Everybody enjoy, and let us know what you think.  :-)

Brian,  The config file is in /home/rbb/apachetest/conf.  The apachetest
directory should have everything you need to migrate the current active
site to 2.0.  If you need anything, feel free to contact me either by
phone or e-mail.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

Re: Restarting 2.0 on locus. :-)

Posted by rb...@covalent.net.
> same result.
> `broken' in my previous mail means the incomplete loading
> of the image; same as Jim or Dale.
> also, there is no problem for for http://www.apache.org:8092/.
>
> hiro hanai / i'm sorry, i'm poor at english...

Hey Hiro, no apologies necessary, your english is fine, and the reports
are very useful.  BTW, I'm back from running, so I'm working on the
problem.

Ryan
406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

Re: Restarting 2.0 on locus. :-)

Posted by Hiroyuki - SPIKY - Hanai <ha...@imgsrc.co.jp>.
> Could you try this again?  I have just moved the logs out of the way so

same result.
`broken' in my previous mail means the incomplete loading
of the image; same as Jim or Dale.
also, there is no problem for for http://www.apache.org:8092/.

hiro hanai / i'm sorry, i'm poor at english...

Re: Restarting 2.0 on locus. :-)

Posted by rb...@covalent.net.
Could you try this again?  I have just moved the logs out of the way so
that I don't have to fight against all of my tests to see what is
happening.  I will look into it once I have anerror log.

Ryan

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, Hiroyuki - SPIKY - Hanai wrote:

> > http://www.apache.org:8092/
> > http://httpd.apache.org:8092/
>
> same result. hmm...
> if anyone wants, i can take screenshots and send them.
>
> hiro hanai

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

Re: Restarting 2.0 on locus. :-)

Posted by Hiroyuki - SPIKY - Hanai <ha...@imgsrc.co.jp>.

Re: Restarting 2.0 on locus. :-)

Posted by Dale Ghent <da...@elemental.org>.
On Tue, 19 Dec 2000 rbb@covalent.net wrote:

| This means that everything looks good now, and the broken images are gone
| as well, correct?

I'm now home, and viewing http://httpd.apache.org:8092/ through IR 5.5/w98
and it looks fine.

/dale

Re: Restarting 2.0 on locus. :-)

Posted by rb...@covalent.net.
I just want to make sure I understand what you said here, because I am
mildly confused.  :-)

Re: Restarting 2.0 on locus. :-)

Posted by Brian Havard <br...@kheldar.apana.org.au>.
On Tue, 19 Dec 2000 19:16:30 -0800 (PST), rbb@covalent.net wrote:

>Okay, the server is back up.  The problem seems to have been sendfile on
>FreeBSD.  I will be looking into both sendfile and virtual hosts on
>FreeBSD tonight.  Those are two problems that I have had on locus
>today.  Will people please test this again, and keep reporting the
>problems.
>
>I haven't seen the problem that Brian Havard reported, the repeat of the
>header in the middle of the page yet.  I'll try to repeat it
>though.  Brian, what browser are you using?

I was using a tool I wrote myself some time ago for testing purposes. My
Netscape (4.61) gives the broken image. Both go via a squid proxy.

>Does it still happen after
>the restart?

Nope, looks fine now.

Re: Restarting 2.0 on locus. :-)

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 12/19/2000 7:16 PM, "rbb@covalent.net" <rb...@covalent.net> wrote:

> Will people please test this again, and keep reporting the
> problems.

It now works for me.

-jon

RE: Restarting 2.0 on locus. :-)

Posted by "Jeffrey A. Stuart" <js...@neo.rr.com>.
Went to http://www.apache.org:8092/ and related sites and images are coming
up fine for me.  This is W2K with IE 5.0 and NeoPlanet 5.2.  So far, it
seems fast...

--
Jeff (FurBall)
WebOverdrive Newbie Tech Board

Okay, the server is back up.  The problem seems to have been sendfile on
FreeBSD.  I will be looking into both sendfile and virtual hosts on
FreeBSD tonight.  Those are two problems that I have had on locus
today.  Will people please test this again, and keep reporting the
problems.

I haven't seen the problem that Brian Havard reported, the repeat of the
header in the middle of the page yet.  I'll try to repeat it
though.  Brian, what browser are you using?  Does it still happen after
the restart?

Thanks everybody.

Ryan

> when i looked at http://httpd.apache.org:8092/, the top image didn't
> get sent completely. this is using netscape 4.76 on linux.
>
> if i just view that image, it doesn't load completely, either.
>
> jim

___
Ryan Bloom                              rbb@apache.org
406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131
---

Re: Restarting 2.0 on locus. :-)

Posted by rb...@covalent.net.
Okay, the server is back up.  The problem seems to have been sendfile on
FreeBSD.  I will be looking into both sendfile and virtual hosts on
FreeBSD tonight.  Those are two problems that I have had on locus
today.  Will people please test this again, and keep reporting the
problems.

I haven't seen the problem that Brian Havard reported, the repeat of the
header in the middle of the page yet.  I'll try to repeat it
though.  Brian, what browser are you using?  Does it still happen after
the restart?

Thanks everybody.

Ryan

> when i looked at http://httpd.apache.org:8092/, the top image didn't
> get sent completely. this is using netscape 4.76 on linux.
>
> if i just view that image, it doesn't load completely, either.
>
> jim

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

Re: Restarting 2.0 on locus. :-)

Posted by Dale Ghent <da...@elemental.org>.
On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Jim Winstead wrote:

| > > http://www.apache.org:8092/
| > > http://httpd.apache.org:8092/
| > >
| > > etc...
| >
| > Dale, does this mean that you are also seeing broken images on those
| > sites?  I am not seeng broken images on any of these sites, but I could
| > have an image in my cache.  Netscape is not known for doing the right
| > thing with the cache.  :-(
|
| when i looked at http://httpd.apache.org:8092/, the top image didn't
| get sent completely. this is using netscape 4.76 on linux.
|
| if i just view that image, it doesn't load completely, either.

Okay, I'm definitely getting that, too. www.apache.org:8092 loads fine,
the main graphic on httpd.apache.org:8092 does not.

I cleared my cache and restarted NS... same thing.

/dale

Re: Restarting 2.0 on locus. :-)

Posted by Brian Havard <br...@kheldar.apana.org.au>.
On Tue, 19 Dec 2000 18:35:18 -0800, Jim Winstead wrote:

>> > http://www.apache.org:8092/
>> > http://httpd.apache.org:8092/
>> >
>> > etc...
>>
>> Dale, does this mean that you are also seeing broken images on those
>> sites?  I am not seeng broken images on any of these sites, but I could
>> have an image in my cache.  Netscape is not known for doing the right
>> thing with the cache.  :-(
>
>when i looked at http://httpd.apache.org:8092/, the top image didn't
>get sent completely. this is using netscape 4.76 on linux.
>
>if i just view that image, it doesn't load completely, either.

Yeah, definitely something weird going on. I'm seeing a repeat of the
header in the response body at exactly 16kB from the start of the body.

Re: Restarting 2.0 on locus. :-)

Posted by rb...@covalent.net.

> > > http://www.apache.org:8092/
> > > http://httpd.apache.org:8092/
> > >
> > > etc...
> >
> > Dale, does this mean that you are also seeing broken images on those
> > sites?  I am not seeng broken images on any of these sites, but I could
> > have an image in my cache.  Netscape is not known for doing the right
> > thing with the cache.  :-(
>
> when i looked at http://httpd.apache.org:8092/, the top image didn't
> get sent completely. this is using netscape 4.76 on linux.
>
> if i just view that image, it doesn't load completely, either.

Expect the images problems to be potentially solved in a few
minutes.  There are no garuantees that this will work, but I am disabling
the sendfile support and re-compiling.  If this works, then I believe I
know what the problem is, and I will fix it ASAP.  If this doesn't work,
then I will need to dig into it more.  Either way, I'm going for a run
before I restart the server, so expect it to take about thirty minutes
before the server is back up.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

Re: Restarting 2.0 on locus. :-)

Posted by Jim Winstead <ji...@trainedmonkey.com>.

Re: Restarting 2.0 on locus. :-)

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 12/19/2000 6:31 PM, "rbb@covalent.net" <rb...@covalent.net> wrote:

> Dale, does this mean that you are also seeing broken images on those
> sites?  I am not seeng broken images on any of these sites, but I could
> have an image in my cache.  Netscape is not known for doing the right
> thing with the cache.  :-(
>
> Ryan

Ryan, I'm sending you a screen shot of a corrupted gif for the header.

Using M$IE 5.0 on MacOS9.

-jon

Re: Restarting 2.0 on locus. :-)

Posted by Dale Ghent <da...@elemental.org>.
On Tue, 19 Dec 2000 rbb@covalent.net wrote:

| > I'm sorry. I meant to say that I'm seeing everything fine.
| >
| > This is using Netscape 4.72 on sparc Solaris 8.
|
| Good to know.  Thanks for the report.  :-)

Ack. I'm way low on sugar and caffeine. See my recent message, I didnt
notice that the top main graphic on httpd does not load completely (the
picture stays "interlaced").

/dale

Re: Restarting 2.0 on locus. :-)

Posted by rb...@covalent.net.