Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Jeff Corliss <je...@yahoo.com> on 2002/02/23 22:21:48 UTC

How to call a web service from a web app or html page

This message didn't seem to get much response (none, I
think) the first time, maybe second time will be the
charm?  I appreciate any input on this anyone might
have. :)

Thanks,
Jeff

http://sports.yahoo.com

Re: How to call a web service from a web app or html page

Posted by akshay saluja <ak...@yahoo.com>.
Hello Paco

I could not understand ur question when you can use
Call to call the method from an applet client then u
can return the response of the soap service to ur
applet method which u can access through the
JavaScript code.If you want some more details as to
how you can make a Call to a web service from ur
client then i can help u Do let me know

Bye
Akshay Saluja

Posted by akshay saluja <ak...@yahoo.com>.
Hello Paco

Posted by Paco Avila <fa...@gridsystems.com>.
Hi, you can user SOAP from an applet in a web page. You can access the
applet methos from JavaScript. I have been using kSOAP which is a very small
SOAP implementation and works fine.

Also you can find a SOAP implementatin in JavaScript but only works in
Explorer.
--
GRIDSYSTEMS                   Francisco Jose Avila Bermejo
Parc Bit - Son Espanyol        Responsable Área Desarrollo
07120 Palma de Mallorca     favila@gridSystems.com
Baleares - España              Tel:+34-971435085 Fax:+34-971435082
ww.gridsystems.com

Posted by Jeff Corliss <je...@yahoo.com>.
Thank you so much for such a detailed response. :)
Jeff

Posted by Jeff Corliss <je...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <an...@manes.net>.
Jeff,

Essentially you need to write a SOAP client application that will call the
SOAP service. You just need to figure out where you want to run that SOAP
client application. Possible options:
- as a script within the HTML page (e.g., JavaScript, VBScript, ECMAScript,
etc)
- as an applet within the HTML page
- as a server script (e.g., CGI script)
- as a server application (e.g., servlet or JSP)

Once you've made this decision, you then need to determine which SOAP client
implementation supports your requirements.

Microsoft, Systinet, and others provide SOAP clients for IE. Systinet WASP
supports applet clients. There are a host of SOAP client libraries for Perl,
Python, PHP, Ruby, and other popular CGI script languages. And there are
more than a dozen Java SOAP implementations (including of course Apache SOAP
and Apache Axis) that you can use to build a servlet/JSP client.

For a list of SOAP implementations, see
http://www.soapware.org/directory/4/implementations or
http://www.xmethods.com/ve2/ViewImplementations.po

I'm assuming that your web service has been written with Apache SOAP, so you
want to make sure that the client you choose supports interoperability with
Apache SOAP. For interoperability information, see
http://www.whitemesa.com/interop.htm. The Apache SOAP/Axis results from
these interop tests are available at
http://www.apache.org/~rubys/ApacheClientInterop.html. A new set of interop
tests will be conducted this week (Wed and Thur).

Best regards,

Anne Thomas Manes
CTO, Systinet
www.systinet.com