Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com> on 2017/05/07 10:13:20 UTC

Current Status of Apache NetBeans Transition

Hi all,

As noted recently, in India a new NetBeans team is being built by Oracle,
currently consisting of two engineers, with the intention of growing this
out to six.

These engineers will join the engineers working on the preparation of the
code donations, but not for the 1st code donation, which we're trying to
wrap up.

Note that the reviewed code is listed at the end of this page, as well as
the code in process:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Apache+Transition

Current items being reviewed for the 1st code donation:

1. The newly written code since the review started (item 5d-xii above).

2. Other files that are needed though that are not part of a cluster (need
to be added to the document above as item 5d-xiii), e.g., the 'build.xml'
for building NetBeans and a few other files that are essential to NetBeans
builds.

3. Binaries -- all kinds of code is found inside binaries, e.g., launchers
and installers, which we'd need to review before donating them to Apache,
though donating them wouldn't make sense since Apache doesn't distribute
binaries. We'll need to exclude binaries from the donation and make them
available in some other way, i.e., via an organization supporting Apache
NetBeans, some would need to be downloaded for building NetBeans and others
during installation of NetBeans.

Images that cannot be donated have already been greyed out and copyright
notices have been added in a "best effort" approach, i.e., some files break
with copyright notices so it doesn't make sense to put them in some of the
files depending on their formats.

Anyway, that's where things are and we're meeting once or twice a week in
wrapping up the final points, as listed above.

Thanks,

Gj

Re: Current Status of Apache NetBeans Transition

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 10:03 AM, Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...I would for vote for the launchers being an exception. Platform apps will
> struggle being cross-platform if they need various OSes to build the
> launchers...

IMO the requirement here is not "binaries in the code repository",
it's "how to make it easy to build NetBeans".

There are probably various ways of achieving that, binaries in the
code repository being the most inconvenient way in an Apache project,
most often not acceptable.

-Bertrand

Re: Current Status of Apache NetBeans Transition

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Le 08/05/2017 à 10:03, Emilian Bold a écrit :
>> I suppose there's a small number of exceptions to this rule for things
> like well-known build launchers but if such exceptions are required
> they should be carefully considered and documented.
>
> I would for vote for the launchers being an exception. Platform apps will
> struggle being cross-platform if they need various OSes to build the
> launchers.
>
> So, I want to have the code for the launchers in the repository, but also
> pre-built convenience binaries since they change extremely rarely and they
> are a drag to generate yourself.

FTR, we use an (old and AL 2.0 license compatible) installer, tanuki, at
ApacheDS. It's part of the source package, in order to be able to
generate installers.

Now, the key here is to be sure that such binary are générating
installers that abide completely with The ASf requirement : ie, they
should contain the required N&L files, and they should also be AL 2.0
compatible, as all thedependencies they contain. And thsi is where it's
getting cmplicated, because they are binaries...

--
Emmanuel Lecharny

Symas.com
directory.apache.org

Re: Current Status of Apache NetBeans Transition

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.
> I suppose there's a small number of exceptions to this rule for things
like well-known build launchers but if such exceptions are required
they should be carefully considered and documented.

I would for vote for the launchers being an exception. Platform apps will
struggle being cross-platform if they need various OSes to build the
launchers.

So, I want to have the code for the launchers in the repository, but also
pre-built convenience binaries since they change extremely rarely and they
are a drag to generate yourself.

--emi

On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 10:36 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.
Well, most of them are test data. No impact there other than losing a test
case. The important ones are the binary Windows launchers and the profiler
libraries.

--emi

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.