Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Adam Roberts <AR...@uk.ibm.com> on 2015/09/21 17:21:15 UTC

Test workflow - blacklist entire suites and run any independently

Hi, is there an existing way to blacklist any test suite?

Ideally we'd have a text file with a series of names (let's say comma
separated) and if a name matches with the fully qualified class name for a
suite, this suite will be skipped.

Perhaps we can achieve this via ScalaTest or Maven?

Currently if a number of suites are failing we're required to comment
these out, commit and push this change then kick off a Jenkins job
(perhaps building a custom branch) - not ideal when working with Jenkins,
would be quicker to use such a mechanism as described above as opposed to
having a few branches that are a little different from others.

Also, how can we quickly only run any one suite within, say, sql/hive? -f
sql/hive/pom.xml with -nsu results in compile failures each time.
Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.

Re: Test workflow - blacklist entire suites and run any independently

Posted by Adam Roberts <AR...@uk.ibm.com>.
Thanks Josh, I should have added that we've tried with -DwildcardSuites
and Maven and we use this helpful feature regularly (although this does
result in building plenty of tests and running other tests in other
modules too), so wondering if there's a more "streamlined" way - e.g. with
junit and eclipse we'd just right click one individual unit test and
that'd be run - without building again AFAIK

Unfortunately using sbt causes a lot of pain, such as...

[error]
[error]   last tree to typer:
Literal(Constant(org.apache.spark.sql.test.ExamplePoint))
[error]               symbol: null
[error]    symbol definition: null
[error]                  tpe:
Class(classOf[org.apache.spark.sql.test.ExamplePoint])
[error]        symbol owners:
[error]       context owners: class ExamplePointUDT -> package test
[error]

and then an awfully long stacktrace with plenty of errors. Must be an
easier way...

From:   Josh Rosen <ro...@gmail.com>
To:     Adam Roberts/UK/IBM@IBMGB
Cc:     dev <de...@spark.apache.org>