Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Bryce Allen <ba...@ci.uchicago.edu> on 2011/11/23 21:59:37 UTC

Can't get hbase to run using Quickstart

I'm trying to get HBase to run in non distributed mode on my
Linux laptop, following quickstart:
http://hbase.apache.org/book/quickstart.html

I can't find a 0.93 snapshot on any mirror, so I've tried compiling
trunk from source and the 0.90.4 binary. In both cases, I get zookeeper
connect errors in the log and eventually the java process dies. I
attached my log file. I'm running Debian sid, and here is my java
version:

java version "1.6.0_23"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.11pre) (6b23~pre11-1)
OpenJDK Client VM (build 20.0-b11, mixed mode, sharing)

I tried commenting out this in conf/hbase-env.sh:

# Extra Java runtime options.
# Below are what we set by default.  May only work with SUN JVM.
# For more on why as well as other possible settings,
# see http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/PerformanceTuning
#export HBASE_OPTS="-ea -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode"

and I get the same behavior.

Any ideas? Are there known issues running under OpenJDK?

Thanks,
Bryce

Re: Can't get hbase to run using Quickstart (FIXED)

Posted by Bryce Allen <ba...@ci.uchicago.edu>.
This was caused by net.ipv6.bindv6only. I ran netstat while the process
was still running, and noticed that it was only listening on tcp6, and
found this on google:

-Bryce