Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by sa...@flextronicssoftware.com on 2005/12/21 06:19:09 UTC

[users@httpd] Handling apache dynamic configuration updates to httpd.conf.

Hi All,

My requirement is adding/configuring ssl virtual hosts dynamically to
apache web server at runtime without apache restart.

Details:
I need to handle multiple virtual hosts ( IP based virtual host
configuration) with ssl support for each virtual host.
Each virtual host has its own certificates and key (maintained in files).
And I need to generate fresh keys and certificates and update these
certificates for a particular virtual host at runtime. I am able to do this
change in httpd.conf. This updates take into effect only after I restart
the apache.

But my requirement is that I shouln't restart the apache web server while
updating the certificates. As there are many other requests to other
virtual hosts are being processed.

1) So would like to know is there any way where I can make apache read the
cirticates details freshly without restart of apache.
2) Is there any configuration which would make re-read of the httpd.conf.

Note: I am open to fallow other methods of storing keys and certificates.
e.g storing LDAP if needed.

Pls reply back ASAP.

Thanks & Regards,
Prathama.

***********************  FSS-Unclassified   ***********************

***********************  FSS-Unclassified   ***********************

***********************  FSS-Unclassified   ***********************
"DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Hughes Software Systems Limited
(HSS) and is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is
addressed. It may contain  privileged or confidential information and
should not be circulated or used for any purpose other than for what it is
intended. If you have received this message in error, please notify the
originator immediately. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
notified that you are strictly prohibited from using, copying, altering, or
disclosing the contents of this message. HSS accepts no responsibility for
loss or damage arising from the use of the information transmitted by this
email including damage from virus."

Re: [users@httpd] Handling apache dynamic configuration updates to httpd.conf.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 12/21/05, sanganakal.Kote@flextronicssoftware.com
<sa...@flextronicssoftware.com> wrote:
> But my requirement is that I shouln't restart the apache web server while
> updating the certificates. As there are many other requests to other
> virtual hosts are being processed.
>
> 1) So would like to know is there any way where I can make apache read the
> cirticates details freshly without restart of apache.
> 2) Is there any configuration which would make re-read of the httpd.conf.

See "apachectl -k graceful" which rereads the config files without
losing any existing or pending connections.

Joshua.