Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Diego Castillo <di...@inexbee.com> on 2004/02/18 12:39:24 UTC

James logs via syslog or Log4J

Hi all,

I would like to configure James 2.1.3 to log via syslog.

After studying the Avalon documentation, this is the closest I have got,
which still does not work. This is my environment.xml file:
[...]
<factory type="datagram-target"
class="org.apache.avalon.excalibur.logger.factory.DatagramTargetFactory"
/>
[...]
<datagram-target id="log-target-id">
  <address hostname="localhost" port="514"/>
  <format type="extended">%{message}</format>
</datagram-target>
[...]

The problem is that I can not configure the syslog facility :(

My second option is making James use Log4J, then configure the standard
SyslogAppender. I have followed instructions from here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/avalon-users@jakarta.apache.org/msg00333.htm

Unfortunately, I get the following Phoenix exception:
Unknown log version specification

Has anyone ever configured James to log either directly to syslog or via
Log4J?

Regards,

Diego