Posted to dev@pdfbox.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/29 07:06:03 UTC

Moving PDFBox bits over to Apache

Hi,

Let's get started with moving the various parts of PDFBox (and FontBox
and JempBox) here.

We need:

    1) The source code
    2) The web site and documentation
    3) Open issues in the issue tracker
    4) Pointer in the SF forums for people to come here

For 1 and 2 we need software grants (I believe Ben has all the
required rights, but I'll check with Apache's legal-discuss mailing
list).

For 3 I guess manual copying is easiest, but there are 300+ open
issues in PDFBox. Can we get some sort of an export from SourceForge?

For 4, should we open also a pdfbox-users mailing list here or is
pdfbox-dev enough for now?

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Moving PDFBox bits over to Apache

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 11:32 AM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Any comments or wishes about the import? Unless anyone objects, I plan
>  to move forward with the import early next week.

As you may already have noticed, the issues are now available in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PDFBOX.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 4:27 PM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 8:06 AM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  For 3 I guess manual copying is easiest, but there are 300+ open
>  >  issues in PDFBox. Can we get some sort of an export from SourceForge?
>
>  I found an export feature in SourceForge and exported all PDFBox,
>  FontBox, and JempBox issues (both open and closed) to
>  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/pdfbox/trunk/migration/.
>
>  The data probably needs some massaging before it can be imported to Jira.

I cleaned all control characters from the exports and wrote an XSL
transformation (sf2asf.xslt) for turning the exported issues to
something that can be imported to Jira.

See the resulting CSV file at
http://people.apache.org/~jukka/pdfbox.csv. I generated the CSV file
with "for f in */*.xml; do java -jar xalan.jar -in $f -xsl
sf2asf.xslt; done" and added the column headers manually.

The generated CSV import only contains the open issues in SourceForge.
It maps the submission date, issue type, component, and summary
metadata reasonably well, and tries to put all other relevant
information to the description field with links to the original
SourceForge issue.

Any comments or wishes about the import? Unless anyone objects, I plan
to move forward with the import early next week.

>  I also set up separate pdfbox, fontbox, and jempbox components for the
>  PDFBOX project in Jira.

I further updated the list of components based on the SourceForge
settings. We now have:

    FontBox
    JempBox
    Lucene
    Parsing
    PDFReader
    PDModel
    PDModel.AcroForm
    Text extraction
    Utilities
    Writing

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

The pdfbox-users@incubator.apache.org list is now available. Subscribe
by sending a message to pdfbox-users-subscribe@incubator.apache.org.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Daniel Wilson <wi...@gmail.com>.

> >>  > For 4, should we open also a pdfbox-users mailing list here or is
> >>  > pdfbox-dev enough for now?
> >>
> >>  I think we can start with only this mailing list and then split if we
> >>  see that a separate list is necessary.
> >
> >Sounds good.
> >
> >BR,
>

> On the Help and Open Discussion fora we get daily posts about "How do
I...?" or "What's wrong with ...?".  If those would be going into a mailing
list, I suspect we would quickly find that we want those on a separate list
from the inter-developer discussion.

My $.02.

DanielWilson

Re: Moving PDFBox bits over to Apache

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 9:09 AM, Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> wrote:
> On 29.02.2008 07:06:03 Jukka Zitting wrote:
>  > For 1 and 2 we need software grants (I believe Ben has all the
>  > required rights, but I'll check with Apache's legal-discuss mailing
>  > list).
>
>  I guess it depends whether Ben has always requested license grants or
>  CLAs for larger contributions to PDFBox, if there were any.
>
>  http://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html#poding-ip-clearance
>
>  From what I've heard in the past, it could mean tracking down every
>  person who contributed a non-trivial bit to PDFBox and requesting a
>  license grant. Or am I wrong?

AFAIK Ben already went through that exercise earlier using email, and
I wanted to confirm with legal-discuss that this satisfies the "has
sufficient rights to contribute" requirement of the software grant.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
On 29.02.2008 07:06:03 Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Let's get started with moving the various parts of PDFBox (and FontBox
> and JempBox) here.
>
> We need:
>
>     1) The source code
>     2) The web site and documentation
>     3) Open issues in the issue tracker
>     4) Pointer in the SF forums for people to come here
>
> For 1 and 2 we need software grants (I believe Ben has all the
> required rights, but I'll check with Apache's legal-discuss mailing
> list).

I guess it depends whether Ben has always requested license grants or
CLAs for larger contributions to PDFBox, if there were any.

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html#poding-ip-clearance

From what I've heard in the past, it could mean tracking down every
person who contributed a non-trivial bit to PDFBox and requesting a
license grant. Or am I wrong?

> For 3 I guess manual copying is easiest, but there are 300+ open
> issues in PDFBox. Can we get some sort of an export from SourceForge?
>
> For 4, should we open also a pdfbox-users mailing list here or is
> pdfbox-dev enough for now?

I think we can start with only this mailing list and then split if we
see that a separate list is necessary.

> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting

Jeremias Maerki