Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus <Sc...@lotus.com> on 2000/07/12 21:46:16 UTC

Microsoft XML stuff

BTW, as I sit here in the Microsoft Developers Conference, they are talking
about a "pull" model parser.   Something to think about.  They call this an
XmlReader.

They are also talking about a data-friendly DOM -- i.e. a DOM that is
friendly and specialized for data-shaped XML, i.e. the kind of XML you
might get from a database.

They also have an XmlNavigator, which is basically a NodeIterator that is a
"lens" onto the XML tree, using XPath.  This is similar or exactly what I
am doing in the XPath module in Xalan2.

Their latest XSLT architecture looks suspiciously like TrAX.  Probably a
good thing.  Note that they are defining a SAX (like) api for their parser.

-scott

Re: Microsoft XML stuff

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
In most parsers, the parser drives the application -- you transfer control
to the parser, it does its thing and returns control to you.  This is true
even for the callback based API's like SAX.  The parser wants to parse
the entire document.

A "pull" parser reverses this and gives the application control of parsing.
The application says parse the next semantic unit and then give it to me.

It's the difference between handling I/O via interrupts or polling.

Ted

Re: Microsoft XML stuff

Posted by Eric Hodges <ha...@swbell.net>.

Re: Microsoft XML stuff

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.

Re: Microsoft XML stuff

Posted by Joe Polastre <jp...@apache.org>.
or any web pages where we can get info on C#? =)

(time to start designing Xerces#  wow, that would be a kinda neato name.)
this java stuff is over-rated anyway!

=)

-Joe Polastre  (jpolast@apache.org)
IBM Cupertino, XML Technology Group

RE: Microsoft XML stuff

Posted by Ed Staub <es...@mediaone.net>.
Scott,
Thanks for the report from the front.
Can you elaborate on these?
I might have understood, or I might not have...

'"pull" model parser' - does this mean optimizing based on the schema?

ditto for "data-friendly DOM" - does this mean a schema-centric DOM?
or designed for large datasets?

How is XmlNavigator different from the selectNodes() method, which has been
in MSXML for over 2 years?

-Ed

Re: Microsoft XML stuff

Posted by Octav Chipara <oc...@cse.unl.edu>.
On Wed, 12 Jul 2000, Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus wrote:

> BTW, as I sit here in the Microsoft Developers Conference, they are talking
> about a "pull" model parser.   Something to think about.  They call this an
> XmlReader.
>
> They are also talking about a data-friendly DOM -- i.e. a DOM that is
> friendly and specialized for data-shaped XML, i.e. the kind of XML you
> might get from a database.
>
> They also have an XmlNavigator, which is basically a NodeIterator that is a
> "lens" onto the XML tree, using XPath.  This is similar or exactly what I
> am doing in the XPath module in Xalan2.
>
> Their latest XSLT architecture looks suspiciously like TrAX.  Probably a
> good thing.  Note that they are defining a SAX (like) api for their parser.
>
> -scott

Hi Scott,

Do you know any web-pages where I could get some more information about
this ....

Thanks,

Octav