Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> on 2004/03/25 15:42:14 UTC

Post on the geronimo list

I saw this nice post on the Geronimo list, and I feel insulted.

 > Two full-blown articles on the topic is forthcoming in the coming
weeks.  I want
 >to take the time and care necessary to convey my various points in the
most
 > positive and constructive way I can.  I'll send a link to this list
and to the
 > Tomcat list when it's published.

and

<quote>
JBoss does not embed Tomcat.  They bolt it onto the side of their
server--this
is not the same thing.  If they say it is, they are either misleading you or
they are honestly wrong.  I know enough about Marketecture to safely say
this.
I've also read their source code, and I know how it works.  Again, watch
for the
articles ; )

As far as "competitive advantages" go, once people get a taste of Geronimo's
configuration and distribution features, once they understand what IoC-3
Components and GBeans buy them, they're never going to want to develop for
anything else.  Order-of-magnitude performance gains not included, I
think the
JBoss server is in serious trouble and I would hate to be holding ten
million
dollars of debt on my shoulders riding in *that* boat.  The configuration
advantages alone will challenge the way we think about application
development.

Yeah, they set the bar really high around here.  I got a couple of
nosebleeds
trying to get over it.  I'm sure the JBoss guys'll start seeing similar
problems
when they sit down to implement JSR-77.
</quote>

I feel inflamatory articles, FUD, and nonsense is a very unproductive
way to interact (given your latest fine article on the ASF, I see you
have a habit of taking people hostage using that method), and, given
that, my answer to any of your proposals is very simple: no (aka, -1).
As for the apparently marvellous G experience, we'll see and let the
market decide. Quite frankly, you sound like an Avalon fan turned bad.

Rémy

Re: Post on the geronimo list

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> I saw this nice post on the Geronimo list, and I feel insulted.

Remy,

It seems these ASF new-comers (geronimo) need too learn a little
about modesty.

For now JBoss is the leader and Geronimo is still in the limb
since there is NO official release.

Users will decide themself if Geronimo is greater than JBoss
when Geronimo will be available.

If they continue in such direction (flams/injures),
we'll have to send strong notice to Board since this kind
of discussions as nothing to do in ASF and between ASF peoples.

Re: Post on the geronimo list

Posted by Peter Lin <tc...@yahoo.com>.

can't wait to read more FUD articles proclaiming they're the savor of the world.

I think I'll keep plugging along until the rubber hits the tires and some real traction is observed.

peter

Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> wrote:
I saw this nice post on the Geronimo list, and I feel insulted.

> Two full-blown articles on the topic is forthcoming in the coming
weeks. I want
>to take the time and care necessary to convey my various points in the
most
> positive and constructive way I can. I'll send a link to this list
and to the
> Tomcat list when it's published.

and

JBoss does not embed Tomcat. They bolt it onto the side of their
server--this
is not the same thing. If they say it is, they are either misleading you or
they are honestly wrong. I know enough about Marketecture to safely say
this.
I've also read their source code, and I know how it works. Again, watch
for the
articles ; )

As far as "competitive advantages" go, once people get a taste of Geronimo's
configuration and distribution features, once they understand what IoC-3
Components and GBeans buy them, they're never going to want to develop for
anything else. Order-of-magnitude performance gains not included, I
think the
JBoss server is in serious trouble and I would hate to be holding ten
million
dollars of debt on my shoulders riding in *that* boat. The configuration
advantages alone will challenge the way we think about application
development.

Yeah, they set the bar really high around here. I got a couple of
nosebleeds
trying to get over it. I'm sure the JBoss guys'll start seeing similar
problems
when they sit down to implement JSR-77.

I feel inflamatory articles, FUD, and nonsense is a very unproductive
way to interact (given your latest fine article on the ASF, I see you
have a habit of taking people hostage using that method), and, given
that, my answer to any of your proposals is very simple: no (aka, -1).
As for the apparently marvellous G experience, we'll see and let the
market decide. Quite frankly, you sound like an Avalon fan turned bad.

R�my