Posted to user@poi.apache.org by vidhya murthy <vi...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/18 21:49:35 UTC

XSSF formula Evaluator

Hi
I have a C++ application that calls the XSSF formula evaluator via JNI
invocation api. I find that I get a segmentation fault after the same
formula is calculated 3 times. For the same set of inputs I do not get a
crash when I evaluate the formula as pure java code. Has anyone run into
issues like this before?  I checked for possible memory related issues in
the JNI layer and I do not see any. It is very simple just creates jvm,
class, gets method id and calls method.
I am using the Apache 3.8 beta 5 code.
I used the logDebug() inside the
org/apache/poi/ss/formula/WorkbookEvalutor.java file. I saw the crash
happens inside the evaluateAny() method and it does not enter
evaluateFormula().
Can someone suggest how best to debug this issue. The heap size I use to
create the JVM is 256M. I have tried with larger heap sizes as well. I am
never running into OutofMemoryExceptions.
Thanks
Vidhya

Re: XSSF formula Evaluator

Posted by vidhya murthy <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nick
I upgrade to 1.7 update 2. I do not see the crash anymore.
Thanks
Vidhya

--
Think before you print.

Re: XSSF formula Evaluator

Posted by vidhya murthy <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nick
I do not see a crash when I run as a pure java application on JDK 1.6.0_21.
WIll the JVM work differently when created from native code?
Thanks

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 3:53 PM, Nick Burch <ni...@alfresco.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Jan 2012, vidhya murthy wrote:
>
>> Can someone suggest how best to debug this issue. The heap size I use to
>> create the JVM is 256M. I have tried with larger heap sizes as well. I am
>> never running into OutofMemoryExceptions.
>>

> Have you tried some different JVMs? Such as 1.6 vs 1.7, OpenJDK vs
> Sun/Oracle JDK etc? That might at least help you narrow down if it's a JVM
> issue or a code one
>
> Nick

Think before you print.

Re: XSSF formula Evaluator