Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by ant elder <an...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/30 16:08:43 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] PPMC = or != Committter

Just about all podlings start off with all the initial commiters being on
the PPMC (I only know of one case where that didn't happen).

One of the reasons put forward for not automatically making all new
committers also PMC members is that it can lead to it being harder to make
people committers. Some projects make it very easy to be a committer and
grant it to just about anyone who seems like they are willing to do some
work on the project without requiring any history of contributions.
Examples of that are Apache Subversion's partial committers or many
projects give GSoC students commit access when their GSoC project is
accepted so they don't have the burden of submitting patches. Those sort of
new committers probably don't have much knowledge of things like ASF
release requirements and that can be a put off from making them a PMC
member with a binding vote.

   ...ant

Re: [DISCUSS] PPMC = or != Committter

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 3:22 PM, Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@wso2.com>wrote:

> After many years of thinking that (P)PMC != {commiitters} , one of many
> mails from Roy on this topic convinced me some years ago that that's the
> right thing to do and as the way ASF was meant to be. So I'm very much for
> making every committer a PMC member.
>
> I understand your point Ant that in early stages of a project's life
> committership is easier to get. However I'm not for giving committership on
> "potential" to contribute .. that's only during start of incubation. After
> that everyone has to do *something* real to earn it. I'd rather teach them
> the Apache Way rather than make them second class by not making them PMC
> members.
>
> Sanjiva.

That is a fine approach and one that is successfully used by other
projects, its not dictated by "The Apache Way" though these days, projects
are free to do things differently, such as considering "potential" to
contribute as well as actual contributions, not only at the start of
incubation but for the life of the project.
I can't find any public mails from Roy just now but the ones i recall
suggest that making all committers be PMC members should be a goal over
time, so for example should at least happen after a committer remains
active for some months perhaps.
Anyway, i'm not suggesting Stratos use any particular approach just
providing info to consider in the decision, if having all committers
automatically on the PMC is whats decided thats certainly not unusual.
Another alternative is don't have any rigid policy at all and leave it to
who ever proposes a new committer if they also want to propose PMC
membership at the same time, which allow some flexibility.

   ...ant

Re: [DISCUSS] PPMC = or != Committter

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@wso2.com>.

--