Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> on 2003/12/18 04:19:41 UTC

Just in case you're curious

The reason everything is quiet here is all decisions are being made on
private lists now.
--
Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

The views expressed in this email are those of the author and are almost
definitely not shared by the Apache Software Foundation, its board or its
general membership.  In fact they probably most definitively disagree with
everything espoused in the above email.

Re: Just in case you're curious

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On Dec 17, 2003, at 10:19 PM, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
>
>> The reason everything is quiet here is all decisions are being made on
>> private lists now.
>
> ----------------
> |  Don't feed  |
> |  the trolls  |
> ----------------
> ------\|/--------

I must admit that that was my first reaction too, but observing the net
effect of this email, good discussions are happening on general@jakarta
because of it.  Nothing in what I am about to say hasn't been said
before, but hopefully pulling it all together will help people put the
puzzle pieces together.

A few general comments:

* The assertion that decisions are being made on private lists is
laughable.  The Jakarta bylaws are woefully out of date, as they were
based on a different era where there was a ruling few who were
responsible for wide oversight.  Mostly what has been discussed on the
PMC mailing list is the process by which we decide the process to change
the bylaws.  Exciting stuff, trust me.  And for those who are
interested, decisions such as the one by log4j to become a project were
made on the log4j mailing lists, as they should be.

*  The end goal is one where people feel empowered to make decisions.
Not empowered in the '80s management buzzword sense, but empowered in
terms of "don't look to the pmc to make decisions for you".  Truth be
told, the simplest way to achieve this is to place everybody who might
potentially be affected by a decision on the PMC.  So, we are embarking
on exactly that direction.  Incrementally.

*  This direction has implications.  If person x is on the Jakarta PMC,
and codebase y is managed by Jakarta, then person x has a say over such
matters as any releases of codebase y.  If this doesn't make sense, the
solution is to put codebase y into a separate PMC.

*  There will always be discussions in private, particularly when they
involve people issues.  A sister project recently had an issue dealing
with a person voted down to become a commmitter, and this had a negative
impact not only on that individual but on the community.  This project
has since decided that all committer votes are to be done in private.
While Jakarta hasn't yet had such an experience, it is worth noting that
it is impossible to keep a secret when there are dozens of members on
the PMC, but it is possible to keep such discussions out of Google
searches and web archives.

- Sam Ruby

Re: Just in case you're curious

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On Dec 17, 2003, at 10:19 PM, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

> The reason everything is quiet here is all decisions are being made on
> private lists now.

----------------
|  Don't feed  |
|  the trolls  |
----------------

------\|/--------

geir@4quarters.com

Re: Just in case you're curious

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 22:19:41 -0500
Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

> The reason everything is quiet here is all decisions are being made on
> private lists now.

It would be okay unless all the decisions will have been made
on infrastructure@ list.

... ;-)

-- Tetsuya. (tetsuya@apache.org)

Re: Just in case you're curious

Posted by Serge Huber <sh...@jahia.com>.
At 04:19 AM 12/18/2003, you wrote:
>The reason everything is quiet here is all decisions are being made on
>private lists now.

Well at least it's honest. But it makes me wonder about the long term
effect of a private decision process in an open source group. It seems to
have almost destroyed the XFree86 project recently.

Just my 2ct...

Regards,
   Serge Huber.

- -- --- -----=[ shuber2 at jahia dot com ]=---- --- -- -
www.jahia.org : A collaborative source CMS and Portal Server

Re: Just in case you're curious

Posted by Andy Armstrong <an...@tagish.com>.
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>> Who's the best person to nudge then? :)
>
> Anyone.  Interested?

Yes, very much thanks.

--
Andy Armstrong, Tagish

Re: Just in case you're curious

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On Dec 18, 2003, at 5:39 PM, Dirk Verbeeck wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

>>> Who's the best person to nudge then? :)
>> Anyone.  Interested?
>
> Looks like there is some important stuff going on so maybe I should
> join as well.

Either you believe that everyone should join (as I do), or that no one
should join (as the "break up Jakarta" crowd would implicitly have it)
other than to run a website.

You get a big "welcome" from me if the former, and a "good luck, do
good work" from me if the latter.

geir

geir@4quarters.com

Re: Just in case you're curious

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Dirk Verbeeck wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> >> Who's the best person to nudge then? :)
> >

> > Anyone.  Interested?
>
> Looks like there is some important stuff going on so maybe I should
> join as well.

Noted.

Hen

Re: Just in case you're curious

Posted by Dirk Verbeeck <di...@pandora.be>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@optonline.net>.
On Dec 18, 2003, at 9:52 AM, Joe Germuska wrote:

>> Anyone.  Interested?
>
> I'm interested in being on the PMC mailing list; I just became a
> Struts committer.  My apache ID is "germuska".

Joe,

I took the liberty of cc-ing the general Jakarta list.

Congrats on becoming a committer.   I hope that your CLA has been
signed and sent to the ASF. :)

What we are trying to do is expand the Jakarta PMC to give as much
inclusion and oversight as possible for all jakarta projects.  To that
end, we are looking for committers that are interested in the oversight
of the projects, not just working on the projects.  Fundamentally, this
means that the committers are ensuring that the code and other
contributions that is being added to the project's CVS is properly
contributed (via a committer w/ a CLA or on a public list where it's
clear it's a freely given contribution) and properly licensed.

This is a subject we'll be discussing more on the general@ list, and I
urge you to pay attention, participate and decide if this is something
you wish to volunteer for.

geir

geir@4quarters.com

Re: Scalability and oversight (Was: Just in case you're curious)

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On Dec 27, 2003, at 7:39 PM, Santiago Gala wrote:

> Scalable because big groups of people can coordinate, even if they
> don't give specific input or they were not "there" while the decision
> was taken.

OT: after some light holiday-time reading ("Prey" from Michael Crichton
- http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0061015725/), it's funny to
try and invent some parallels between open source software communities
and the agent swarms outlined in his novel. Freaky.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Scalability and oversight (Was: Just in case you're curious)

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On Dec 27, 2003, at 1:39 PM, Santiago Gala wrote:

> El lunes, 22 dici, 2003, a las 16:32 Europe/Madrid, Geir Magnusson Jr.
> escribió:
>
>> You are free to do what you want.  Is this then about personal google
>> hitcount?
>>

> To the risk of re-starting a extinguishing discussion, I think google
> (or any outsider looking) plays an important role here, but not in the
> "personal hitcount" sense.

I'll simply note that as you didn't quote what I was responding to,
some readers unfamiliar with the thread might incorrectly assume that
this was about an effort to keep this from being an open discussion.

No one wanted to keep this from being an open discussion.  It was first
suggested by Peter a while ago, and I think everyone was in agreement.
The issue was trying to get some organization and planning around a
complicated subject before bringing it public.

> I think openness of product *and* process is the only thing that makes
> us scalable and fault-tolerant, when comparing Apache with more
> traditional organizations.

I fully support openness, but I'll also note that a bit of organization
and planning go a long way.  And there are plenty of traditional closed
organizations that do just fine due to planning and organization, such
as IBM and Microsoft.

> Scalable because big groups of people can coordinate, even if they
> don't give specific input or they were not "there" while the decision
> was taken.

Yep, all helped by a bit of planning and organization.

> Fault tolerant because the public audit trail left in CVS and mailing
> lists makes it easy for third party observers (or interested parties)
> to spot any error in oversight.

Yep, all helped by a bit of planning and organization.  Note that 'CVS'
and 'mailing lists' are two examples of planning and organization.

> If we go to the "cathedral versus bazaar" metaphor, nothing beyond a
> small group conversation remains private in the bazaar. So, if some
> merchant down there is "selling" cheaper, notice propagates fast. Same
> if some merchandise is faulted.

Maybe.  I'll note that the most successful OSS projects I've seen also
had a strong individual or group of individuals that helped via (you
can guess what's coming...), "...a bit of planning and organization".
Apache httpd, linux, emacs, hibernate, mysql, the list goes on...

Same w/ Jakarta.  There have always been a strong group of people
guiding the sub-projects and the project overall.  What we are trying
to do now is increase that group, or better, recognize those that are
doing it already, and conforming to legal structure needed by the ASF.

geir

geir@4quarters.com

Scalability and oversight (Was: Just in case you're curious)

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>.

Re: Just in case you're curious

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.

geir@4quarters.com

Re: Just in case you're curious

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

pmc@.  I will discuss it here.  This is my personal choice.  I choose to

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>.

Re: Just in case you're curious

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>.

Re: Just in case you're curious

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On Dec 18, 2003, at 9:30 AM, Andy Armstrong wrote:
>
> > Henri Yandell wrote:
> >> As a slight aside, getting on the PMC list just means nudging an
> >> existing
> >> member and pointing out that you are an active committer to Jakarta.
> >
> > Who's the best person to nudge then? :)
>
> Anyone.  Interested?

Whoever knows you as an active committer Andy and is on the PMC.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.

geir@4quarters.com

Re: Just in case you're curious

Posted by Andy Armstrong <an...@tagish.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On Dec 17, 2003, at 11:01 PM, Henri Yandell wrote:

> As a slight aside, getting on the PMC list just means nudging an
> existing
> member and pointing out that you are an active committer to Jakarta.

Yep. Do that.  Every committer should want to be part of the PMC.

geir

geir@4quarters.com

Re: Just in case you're curious

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Tetsuya Kitahata wrote:
> > Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> > > Here in Jakarta (as well as other projects, I assume), the sub-projects
> > > do committer votes in public.  Some people outside of Jakarta feel that
> > > this is improper, and should be done in private to ensure that open
> > > discussion can happen in a way that doesn't hurt peoples feelings.
> > Well, I think it that vote jakartan-way (to vote new committers in)
> > is reasonable as well as the way other (single projects -- which do
> > not have many subprojects under their umbrella) projects had chosen is.
> Once the PMC situation is squared away by any of a few approaches, there
> should be no reason to hold Committer or PMC Member votes in public.

Makes sense. Thanks.

I'd subscribed to all the -dev lists and downloaded all the
archive messages from jakarta.apache.org/mail/**.

I found it that if PMC situation would be squared away, PMC
list could take over the place for committer votes, too.
I had a stats of the contributors' messages and sometimes felt
"I do want to vote him/her in to XX subproject if I were a committer
of this (sub)project" where I am not a committer nor a PMC Member.
(So, I often did "non-binding" votes -- +1 to excellent
persons ... Right? >> Adam @ gump)

I think you folks can choose the appropriate persons for the
jakarta-committership, granted you won't hold Committer votes
in public. -- I remember that one of the ASF members has already
invented nice voting machine program @ minotaur (wrapper program
for qmail, if i remember correctly) -- Maybe you/we will be able
to make use of it (Then, PMC list's traffic won't be increased).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

-- Tetsuya. (tetsuya@apache.org)

RE: Just in case you're curious

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Tetsuya Kitahata wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> > Here in Jakarta (as well as other projects, I assume), the sub-projects
> > do committer votes in public.  Some people outside of Jakarta feel that
> > this is improper, and should be done in private to ensure that open
> > discussion can happen in a way that doesn't hurt peoples feelings.

> Well, I think it that vote jakartan-way (to vote new committers in)
> is reasonable as well as the way other (single projects -- which do
> not have many subprojects under their umbrella) projects had chosen is.

There are good reasons for the guidelines.  One of the other Apache projects
recently had a situtation where someone proposed a new Committer in public,
there was a negative reaction from some people, and it created an
unfortunate situation in public.  There is no reason to either subject
anyone to that, or leave a public record of it.

Once the PMC situation is squared away by any of a few approaches, there
should be no reason to hold Committer or PMC Member votes in public.

	--- Noel

Re: Just in case you're curious

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 08:12:02 -0500
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> Here in Jakarta (as well as other projects, I assume), the sub-projects
> do committer votes in public.  Some people outside of Jakarta feel that
> this is improper, and should be done in private to ensure that open
> discussion can happen in a way that doesn't hurt peoples feelings.

Yes, HTTP Server Project / APR Project folks often feel that it is
improper, it seems. (I am not a HTTPD guy ;-) I've heard such opinions
on other lists before.

Well, I think it that vote jakartan-way (to vote new committers in)
is reasonable as well as the way other (single projects -- which do not
have many subprojects under their umbrella) projects had chosen is.

Only one concern. Maybe Jakarta has many *zombie* committers.
I hope current (jakartan) voting rule hadn't affected to the *inflated
zombies* phenomena. To eliminate *zombie* committers would be one
of the critical issues for Jakarta PMC, I imagine. (This is also
board members' concern, I imagine)

Anyways, I think Jakarta can have Jakartan-Way.
Good luck, folks. (And thanks)

Sincerely,

-- Tetsuya. (tetsuya@apache.org)

Re: Just in case you're curious

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On Dec 22, 2003, at 8:05 AM, Tetsuya Kitahata wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 07:38:54 -0500
> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
>>> What could be something that is sensteive in an open source
>>> community?
>>> This is new direction. Gray areas should be well exposed. If you are
>>> ashamed of it, don't do open source community.
>> There are lots of things.  Committer votes, for example, are
>> considered
>> a sensitive issue.  Inter-personal disputes.
>
> I agree. Also, I think "[PROPOSAL] As it ever were" mail
> was very reasonable. However, just one question came to my mind.
>
> Have The Committer Votes (I mean, [VOTE] in to elect new committer)
> to be taken place at Jakarta PMC list? ... This is very sensitive
> issue (maybe causes inter-personal dispute), i guess.
>
> Could you please explain more?

Committer votes haven't taken place on the Jakarta PMC list.  PMC
member votes have, but that's a different thing.

Here in Jakarta (as well as other projects, I assume), the sub-projects
do committer votes in public.  Some people outside of Jakarta feel that
this is improper, and should be done in private to ensure that open
discussion can happen in a way that doesn't hurt peoples feelings.

I can see both sides of this - do it in public because it's a good "pat
on the back" for a person to see fellow community members supporting
him or her, but on the other hand, it would be a shame for people to be
unable to say how they feel about a proposed committer and have that
POV understood by others w/o possibly hurting the feelings of the
person being voted on.

I hope this is something we take up when we have this PMC issue sorted
out.

geir

geir@4quarters.com

Re: Just in case you're curious

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.
Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
>>Vic, if you've been paying ANY attention, you'd know that what we are
>>trying to do is just the opposite - get *every* committer in Jakarta
>>onto the PMC, *eliminating* this needless boundary.
>>

> While closing out everyone else.  Like those who are not yet committers.

I think all active committers should be in the PMC - maybe with a 3
months waiting or something similar. Not because of oversight concerns
or to "close out everyone else", but because it is the right thing.

I do agree with you that jakarta-general should be used for most
discussions, and it was a mistake to have the threads about oversight in
the PMC list.

With all committers in the PMC it is more likely someone will notice
that some threads should be public and speak up sooner ( just as you
did ).

Costin

Re: Just in case you're curious

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.

Posted by Vic Cekvenich <ce...@basebeans.com>.
<BIG SNIP>

<Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:>
[...]

ASF is still very small, $100K in the bank. It's committer volunters and
users that use it.
No need for a rulling class, what's wrong with peers?
Some officers rotated in for admin.
If commiters don't get active to make it better, it will get worse.
People I know are active in CVS (via CVS posts I see) have said very
little relative to people I never see in CVS.

Vic
(Struts user)

Ex: "germaine" issue, why no public vote of any kind on it ever, else
link it for me.  I think once "germaine" is addressed, things go back to
normal. None of this : we are not smart enough to understand. This is
the only issue that is secret, AFAIK.

Re: Just in case you're curious

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On Dec 21, 2003, at 9:20 PM, Aaron Bannert wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 21, 2003 at 09:09:34PM -0500, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>> I think that there is nothing wrong with the PMC having a private list
>> and discussing things there, especially when we're discussing trying
>> make that group bigger.  I'm sure that Andrew doesn't really either.
>
> That is not the kind of ASF that I want to see.
>
> It seems we have gone from one extreme to the other: first we have
> everything in the public and now we want everything to be private?

That's not at all what I said.

> Why not a happy medium? If it's sensitive, discuss it on the PMC.
> If not, discuss it on the dev/general list.

I think you are confusing this with httpd.  There is no one dev list,
thank goodness.  I agree that sensitive things should be on the PMC
list, and non-sensitive things should be on the general@ list.

I think that specific tactics for restructuring can be considered
sensitive from the POV of it not being some 'state secret', as Andy
seems to want people to believe, but rather because of the confusion
that it sews.  My hope was for us to get our act together before we
approached the rest of the community, and do it as a group.

No decisions were made on the PMC list, and the majority of the chatter
was 'what do we do?'.

geir

geir@4quarters.com

Re: Just in case you're curious

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.
On Sun, Dec 21, 2003 at 09:09:34PM -0500, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> I think that there is nothing wrong with the PMC having a private list
> and discussing things there, especially when we're discussing trying to
> make that group bigger.  I'm sure that Andrew doesn't really either.

That is not the kind of ASF that I want to see.

It seems we have gone from one extreme to the other: first we have
everything in the public and now we want everything to be private?

Why not a happy medium? If it's sensitive, discuss it on the PMC.
If not, discuss it on the dev/general list.

-aaron

Re: Just in case you're curious

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.

geir@4quarters.com

Re: Just in case you're curious

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
YES! -- And members, and board, and incubator, and....

Move it into the open.

-Andy

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
I realize that arguing with you on this will have no effect, but I want
to keep working to extinguish the meme you keep trying to plant.

IIRC, the thread in play at the time was my note to ask the opinion of
all PMC members re the CLA signing, to make sure that it was a clear
message we all wanted to go out with.  IRRC, you never even responded
to it.

Further, IIRC, there was broad consensus that things should be public
(I think it was Peter's first nudge), and we were working that
direction.

geir

geir@4quarters.com

Re: Just in case you're curious

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

>> I'm sorry, I hallucinated that we were having all of these discussions
>> about
>> the future of jakarta and how to best reorganize it on
>> pmc@jakarta.apache.org.
>
> Remember what you said.  You said that "decisions were being made in
> private".

Oh yes, I hallucinated the [VOTE] threads too.  Damn those hallucinations.
I hallucinated the refactoring proposal and everything.

>>> Here I disagree with you, and what you are saying isn't FUD - it's
>>> just
>>> that I disagree.  See the difference?
>>>

>> I'm not sure you do.
>
> But do you see the difference, right? One is a disagreement, and one is
> you making things up.

No Gier, take a deep breath and determine whether you distinguish yourself
with this conversation.  I shall give you the honor of the last word.

-Andy

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.