Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by jazdrv <ja...@yahoo.com> on 2005/04/13 17:54:02 UTC

lucene - nutch to rss?

hello,

this is my first posting to this thread, and i haven't played with the
libraries as of yet. i'm curious whether people have been using
lucene/nutch to convert results to rss and what would be architectural
considerationis/time period in doing something like that.

zak

Re: lucene - nutch to rss?

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Erik Hatcher wrote:

> That's really more appropriate to the Nutch list, not the Lucene user
> list.

right. I realised at the very last moment (when it was too late ;-) that
the address
was the lucene list instead the nutch list

>> Re the XSLT one then could offer various XSLTs in order to cover the
>> various RSS
>> and Atom formats (and other "XMLs" of course).
>

> Earlier today I saw Doug commit a servlet to Nutch which serves up the
> A9 OpenSearch RSS format.  Again, best to take the Nutch related
> discussions to its list.

good to know. I will take a look at it.

Thanks

Michi

>     Erik

Michael Wechner

Re: lucene - nutch to rss?

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.

Re: lucene - nutch to rss?

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.

--
Michael Wechner

Re: lucene - nutch to rss?

Posted by Michael Giles <mg...@furl.net>.
I think you are over-complicating it.  There is no need to turn the HTML
into RSS.  Once you're in HTML, you've gone too far.  You just need to
change the code in the JSP page that currently renders HTML so that it
renders XML/RSS instead.  Then pass requests to your new JSP page when
folks want RSS results.

You can obviously get into issues of caching and such to optimize
performance, but to just get some RSS feeds up should be pretty simple
(and shouldn't require anything other than a basic understanding of JSP).

-Mike

RE: lucene - nutch to rss?

Re: lucene - nutch to rss?

Posted by Michael Giles <mg...@furl.net>.
Zak,

Re: lucene - nutch to rss?

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Apr 13, 2005, at 11:54 AM, jazdrv wrote:

> hello,
>
> this is my first posting to this thread, and i haven't played with the
> libraries as of yet. i'm curious whether people have been using
> lucene/nutch to convert results to rss and what would be architectural
> considerationis/time period in doing something like that.

My personal blog, such as it is, is powered by Lucene, a servlet, and
some Velocity templates.  That's it.  I borrowed the RSS/RDF/RSS2
templates from blojsom and adjusted them to my structure.

	http://www.blogscene.org/erik

Nutch just added (as in within the last day) support for A9's
OpenSearch RSS extension.

	Erik