Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Alexandre Vézina <al...@gmail.com> on 2010/10/23 02:17:30 UTC

Distributed version of commons-daemon.jar

Hi guys,

I had a bug starting tomcat6 with (commons-daemon). The problem was that
common-daemons was not able to register native methods (with
commons-daemon.jar). Digging into the problem made me find that the file
commons-daemon.jar distributed in
http://apache.infocom.ua/tomcat/tomcat-6/v6.0.29/src/apache-tomcat-6.0.29-src.tar.gz
was
not compatible with the (only) version of common-daemons wich is distributed
right now (http://www.eu.apache.org/dist/commons/daemon/source/). Everything
worked fine when I got a copy of 1.0.2 from the svn tags.

So since the common-daemons-1.0.2 is no more distributed and the jar
distributed in tomcat-6.0.29 seems to be in version 2, do you think it would
be a good idea to to update tomcat6.0.29-src.tar.gz with the
common-daemons-1.0.3.jar? Actually almost nobody will ever compile
common-daemons-1.0,2 again since the archive is no more available.

I got this problem while trying to update the AUR from archlinux:
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=35060&O=&L=&C=&K=&SB=&SO=&PP=&do_Orphans=&SeB=

Thank you
-------
Alexandre Vézina

Re: Distributed version of commons-daemon.jar

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
On 23.10.2010 18:54, Alexandre Vézina wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 4:49 AM, Rainer Jung<ra...@kippdata.de>wrote:
>>   was
>>> not compatible with the (only) version of common-daemons wich is
>>> distributed
>>> right now (http://www.eu.apache.org/dist/commons/daemon/source/).
>>> Everything
>>> worked fine when I got a copy of 1.0.2 from the svn tags.
>>>

>> Right now the recent version is 1.0.3 not 1.0.2. It is likely, that in a
>> few days it'll be 1.0.4. Did you mean 1.0.3?
>

> commons-daemon-1.0.3 (unix binary files) was not able to launch tomcat with
> commons-daemon-1.0.2.jar (unable to register native methods error). It only
> worked with commons-daemon-1.0.2 unix binary files which is not a big
> surprise, but the point is that the head versions of both projects are
> incompatible out of the box.

The projects are independent. They do not do common releases and they
shouldn't. Tomcat is a consumer of commons-daemon, so it uses whichever
version is appropriate at the moment of a Tomcat realease. If you run
into a problem and you think you do need to do an update of
commons-daemon alone, you would likely need to update the native parts
and the Java parts of commons-daemon.

>> Dependencies and optional software bundled with Tomcat are usually updated
>> with regular Tomcat releases. In this case I expect 6.0.30 is not too far
>> away (couple of weeks maybe) and will contain daemon 1.0.3 or likely even
>> 1.0.4 then.
>>
>> The change for daemon 1.0.3 was done in August already, but not yet
>> released. See:
>>
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=989024
>

> Good thanks
>
> I guess it is not possible to have something like commons-daemon.1.0.3.jar
> in the bin folder and then ln -s to commons-daemon.jar because of Windows
> support? Or is the version of the jar file written somewhere in the bin
> archive. I tried to grep it with no success.

As usual the Manifest inside the jar (META-INF/MANIFEST.MF) contains the
info:

Implementation-Title: Commons Daemon
Implementation-Vendor: The Apache Software Foundation
Implementation-Vendor-Id: org.apache
Implementation-Version: 1.0.2
Specification-Title: Commons Daemon
Specification-Vendor: The Apache Software Foundation
Specification-Version: 1.0.2

and the directory META-INF/maven contains the info in Maven format.

If you think more discussion is needed, please switch to the Tomcat
users list. To subscribe, send mail to

    users-subscribe@tomcat.apache.org

Regards,

Rainer

Re: Distributed version of commons-daemon.jar

Posted by Alexandre Vézina <al...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 4:49 AM, Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>wrote:

> Hello Alexandre,
>

> On 23.10.2010 02:17, Alexandre Vézina wrote:
>
>> I had a bug starting tomcat6 with (commons-daemon). The problem was that
>> common-daemons was not able to register native methods (with
>> commons-daemon.jar). Digging into the problem made me find that the file
>> commons-daemon.jar distributed in
>>
>> http://apache.infocom.ua/tomcat/tomcat-6/v6.0.29/src/apache-tomcat-6.0.29-src.tar.gz
>>

> There is not commons-daemon.jar distributed in the Tomcat source download.
> It is only contained in the binary downloads.

Oh yeah my bad, but it's quite the same problem...

>  was
>> not compatible with the (only) version of common-daemons wich is
>> distributed
>> right now (http://www.eu.apache.org/dist/commons/daemon/source/).
>> Everything
>> worked fine when I got a copy of 1.0.2 from the svn tags.
>>

> Right now the recent version is 1.0.3 not 1.0.2. It is likely, that in a
> few days it'll be 1.0.4. Did you mean 1.0.3?

commons-daemon-1.0.3 (unix binary files) was not able to launch tomcat with
commons-daemon-1.0.2.jar (unable to register native methods error). It only
worked with commons-daemon-1.0.2 unix binary files which is not a big
surprise, but the point is that the head versions of both projects are
incompatible out of the box.

>  So since the common-daemons-1.0.2 is no more distributed and the jar
>> distributed in tomcat-6.0.29 seems to be in version 2, do you think it
>> would
>> be a good idea to to update tomcat6.0.29-src.tar.gz with the
>> common-daemons-1.0.3.jar? Actually almost nobody will ever compile
>> common-daemons-1.0,2 again since the archive is no more available.
>>

> All old versions are still available at archive.apache.org/dist. No ASF
> distributed software version ever goes away :)

You reassure me :P. I forgot that apache had an archive repo.

> Dependencies and optional software bundled with Tomcat are usually updated
> with regular Tomcat releases. In this case I expect 6.0.30 is not too far
> away (couple of weeks maybe) and will contain daemon 1.0.3 or likely even
> 1.0.4 then.
>
> The change for daemon 1.0.3 was done in August already, but not yet
> released. See:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=989024

Good thanks

I guess it is not possible to have something like commons-daemon.1.0.3.jar
in the bin folder and then ln -s to commons-daemon.jar because of Windows
support? Or is the version of the jar file written somewhere in the bin
archive. I tried to grep it with no success.

Regards

Re: Distributed version of commons-daemon.jar

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Hello Alexandre,