Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Paul Hammant <pa...@yahoo.com> on 2002/04/09 19:39:47 UTC

LGPL issue

Nicola,

Jesktop impl did not contain LGPL code.   The ported apps to Jesktop API (which is BSD) are all
sorts of license.

Having said that, JAMES use a DNS jar that is LGPL, and have it in Apache CVS.  Of course this is
the jar, not the source....

I think the official policy is to have a little dependance on copyleft as possible....

- Paul

Re: LGPL issue

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 10 Apr 2002 03:39, Paul Hammant wrote:
> Nicola,
>
> Jesktop impl did not contain LGPL code.   The ported apps to Jesktop API
> (which is BSD) are all sorts of license.
>
> Having said that, JAMES use a DNS jar that is LGPL, and have it in Apache
> CVS.  Of course this is the jar, not the source....
>
> I think the official policy is to have a little dependance on copyleft as
> possible....

Depends. If it could even vaguly be consider a library extension rather than
a user of library then it shouldn't be used but James is fine using dnsjava

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: LGPL issue

Posted by Shawn Boyce <sh...@qcominc.com>.
The jar would only be used by the build to create documentation for the
Avalon website.
It would not be used by Avalon itself.

Paul Hammant wrote:

>Nicola,
>
>Jesktop impl did not contain LGPL code.   The ported apps to Jesktop API (which is BSD) are all
>sorts of license.
>
>Having said that, JAMES use a DNS jar that is LGPL, and have it in Apache CVS.  Of course this is
>the jar, not the source....
>
>I think the official policy is to have a little dependance on copyleft as possible....
>
>- Paul

Shawn Boyce
QCOM, Inc.
Quality Software is Our Business