Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com> on 2012/11/28 15:45:11 UTC

Re: svn commit: r1414728 - in /subversion/trunk: ./ build/generator/ subversion/bindings/cxxhl/ subversion/bindings/cxxhl/include/ subversion/bindings/cxxhl/include/types/ subversion/bindings/cxxhl/src/ subversion/bindings/cxxhl/src/types/

On 28.11.2012 15:39, brane@apache.org wrote:
> Author: brane
> Date: Wed Nov 28 14:39:42 2012
> New Revision: 1414728

> Log:
> Getting sidetracked for a bit: create placeholder and update build for
> a future high-level C++ API for Subversion, based on the same principles
> as JavaHL.

Lest anyone become too worried about this: I'm not going to let this
project divert my attention from getting 1.8 out the door. I had this
idea on the back burner for a long time, and just now found a bit of
time when I had to clear my head; so I decided to at least get the build
infrastructure in place.

-- Brane

--
Branko Čibej

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com>.
On 29.11.2012 14:22, Hyrum K Wright wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 3:10 PM, Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com> wrote:

>> principles
>>> How does this compare to Hyrum's "object model"?
>>>
>>>   notes/object-model.txt
>>>   ^/subversion/branches/object-model
>> I don't know yet. I'll be looking at that more closely when the time
>> comes, but I'll also take notes from JavaHL. I feel it's important that
>> we hide the details of the C API (for example, its dependency on APR)
>> from this high-level interface.
>
> The object model stuff is probably a bit dated, but some of the ideas
> probably still hold.  If there's anything I learned through that
> experience, it was that we'll probably need to use something like pimpl for
> any type of backward compatibility within the C++ bindings themselves.  Ugh.

Would versioned namespaces not do the trick?

e.g.:

namespace svncxxhl_v1 { ... }
namespace svncxxhl_v2 { using svncxxhl_v1::foo; ... }
namespace svn { namespace cxxhl = svncxxhl_v2; }

-- Brane

--
Branko Čibej

Posted by Hyrum K Wright <hy...@hyrumwright.org>.
On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 3:10 PM, Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com> wrote:

> On 28.11.2012 17:15, Philip Martin wrote:
> > Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com> writes:

> principles
> >> Lest anyone become too worried about this: I'm not going to let this
> >> project divert my attention from getting 1.8 out the door. I had this
> >> idea on the back burner for a long time, and just now found a bit of
> >> time when I had to clear my head; so I decided to at least get the build
> >> infrastructure in place.
> > How does this compare to Hyrum's "object model"?
> >
> >   notes/object-model.txt
> >   ^/subversion/branches/object-model
>
> I don't know yet. I'll be looking at that more closely when the time
> comes, but I'll also take notes from JavaHL. I feel it's important that
> we hide the details of the C API (for example, its dependency on APR)
> from this high-level interface.

The object model stuff is probably a bit dated, but some of the ideas
probably still hold.  If there's anything I learned through that
experience, it was that we'll probably need to use something like pimpl for
any type of backward compatibility within the C++ bindings themselves.  Ugh.

-Hyrum

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@wandisco.com>.

http://www.wandisco.com/subversion/download