Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com> on 2009/01/31 00:27:42 UTC

Cruise Control results?

I'm looking at making my Windows build results more readily available
and am looking for more info on Cruise Control. I have been reading
the cruise control website, but am still looking for basic
capabilities answers. Is this something that houses results in some
central place everyone can see (ala the ACE scoreboard
(http://acebuilds.riverace.com/scoreboard/)? Is it possible to
contribute results into this?

Thanks,
-Steve

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: Cruise Control results?

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.
All sounds good - aside from automatic posting (hold your fire!!).

If you are anything like us, you wouldn't do that lightly. We run lots of
builds and get quite a few failures which need eyeballed so to speak before
list posting. I doubt you'd all want to be recipients of all of our
infiltered stuff !!

I reckon I'd ask that any automated posting have the output monitored for a
month before it came to the list. The biggest issue we have (by far) is
intermittant race conditions which create noise and are really tricky to
resolve. You would not love me for the contents of my build email folder.

Just my tuppence,
Marnie

Re: Cruise Control results?

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

RE: Cruise Control results?[MESSAGE NOT SCANNED]

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ge...@dcs.gla.ac.uk>.
CruiseControl is a Continuous Integration tool, it schedules/runs based on
changes/etc 'builds/projects' which are basically just a configuration you
give it to do a job or bunch of jobs....be it run a build, a test, basically
do whatever you like. You can tie in to various build tools like Ant or
Maven directly, or if you have something that runs from the command line you
can just have it run that directly, or run a shell script, or....basically
anything that can be scripted in some fashion or another can be run.

It then reports success/failure based on the outcome of that project
definition, eg if you had it run an Ant process and that failed explicitly
it will tie in to that result outcome and report a failure of the
'build/project', or if a shell script exited with an error code etc. As long
as there is some definition of failure that can be checked then it can
report that in some fashion. If that Ant/Maven/whatever task involved
running JUnit tests for example, you can tell it where the results of the
tests are put and it will pull them into its log file and give you an
overview of all the individual results, alternatively just anything xml can
be merged in. It can publish build artifacts by various means, email results
etc, and you can use its web dashboard and look at past results, inspect the
log outputs, force new builds etc.

It runs on a given machine and only reports results from that machines
configured projects and their executions. You can set it up in a 'grid' to
have results of multiple instances reported back to a single instance, but I
believe that needs shared file system access.

It isn't just a results store though, so you cant just post results into
another instance. What you could do would be to set up a project in that
instance which monitored something else for change, (eg a file or folder in
a repository) and figure out some way to have it analyse that and report
results, declare success/failure etc.

Im not sure how you would tie it in to do the C++ windows builds directly as
I have absolutely no clue about the windows build process hehe, but the
linux one is easy. Have a look in the qpid/cc dir for the various in-tree CC
projects.

Slight note, things may have changed with CC so things above might be
inaccurate in some way, its been 5 months since I did anything with it hehe.

Robbie

RE: Cruise Control results?

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ge...@dcs.gla.ac.uk>.
Oops...I read Steve's email just before going to sleep and forgot about it
before going out after I got up :)

I didn't post the setup you are running (a bit of its perhaps not apache
friendly for one thing, though it isn't necessary and could be rectified
easily enough), its quite different to the CC setup in the repository. From
what I can remember, whats there is probably more appropriate for most
peoples needs anyway in that it runs in-tree, doesn't need a bunch of things
set up, and isnt hammering away all day everyday hehe.

I'll reply to Steves email separately.

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Steve,