Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by da...@chaosreigns.com on 2011/04/05 00:23:46 UTC

DNSWL abuse reports by domain, over time

Top 20, linear Y scale:
http://www.chaosreigns.com/dnswl/dnswlabusehistory.svg

Top 10, logarithmic Y scale:
http://www.chaosreigns.com/dnswl/dnswlabusehistory_log.svg

DNSWL.org groups IPs by domain.  So I was able to count up the number of
abuse reports per domain, per month.  I graphed the percentage because I
figure reporter activity could fluctuate too much to make absolute counts
of reports useful.

So from this data, yahoo has by far sent the most spam of all legitimate
mail sources during this period (since January 2001).  They got better over
the last month (or everybody else has gotten worse...).  tp.pl is
currently second worst; aol.com is third.

The domains in the key are listed in descending order of total spam during
the period.

I think it's great that google does as well as they do.  I think it's
interesting that both postini and messagelabs show up in this top 20.

One of the things I found interesting in this is that I had an impression
that hotmail.com was by far the worst, and apparently it never has been.
At least in this period.

I'm curious if there's a story behind orange.fr's spike in June 2010.

--
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the
human mind to correlate all its contents."

Re: DNSWL abuse reports by domain, over time

Posted by Andrzej Adam Filip <an...@gmail.com>.
darxus@chaosreigns.com wrote:
> Top 20, linear Y scale:
> http://www.chaosreigns.com/dnswl/dnswlabusehistory.svg
>
> Top 10, logarithmic Y scale:
> http://www.chaosreigns.com/dnswl/dnswlabusehistory_log.svg
> [...]

Could you create chart with number of reports instead of percent of reports?
AFAIK it would be "much less impressive" and "casting doubts about credibility".

--
[pl>en: Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi@onet.eu
People think love is an emotion.  Love is good sense.