Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Nathan Wilhelmi <wi...@ucar.edu> on 2006/09/28 18:37:14 UTC

Best practices for deploying applications to the root context...

Hello - We are using Tomcat 5.5.19. We need to deploy applications to
the root context, ideally we would like to deploy them to through the
ant deploy tasks. Initially I specified the root context path in the
server.xml file, however this has problems. For example I had the ant
script deploy to the context test, and the root context entry in
server.xml would point to that path. This works fine, except that it
requires tomcat to be restarted after a deployment, which really defeats
the benefits of the ant deployment, the test context would be updated
but the root context was still the previous version. I tried removing
the context entries from server.xml and deploying to the / path from
Ant. This works however if the server has to be restarted the
application is not persisted and must be redeployed. What are the best
practices for deploying to the root context, any special requirements
from the Ant side?

Thanks!

-Nate

RE: Best practices for deploying applications to the root context...

Posted by Tim Lucia <ti...@yahoo.com>.
Here is my deployment rule, which deposits the project war file onto the
given tomcat server, under the root context (path=/).

HTH,
Tim

    <!-- reload the specified context                                -->
    <target
        name="deploy-context"
        description="Reload the given context">
        <fail unless="tomcat.username">Undefined: tomcat.username</fail>
        <fail unless="tomcat.password">Undefined: tomcat.password</fail>
        <fail unless="tomcatURL">Undefined: tomcatURL</fail>
        <echo taskname="deploy-context">
Deploying ${basedir}/${project.war} to ${tomcatURL}
        </echo>
        <undeploy
            failonerror="false"
            taskname="deploy-context"
            username="${tomcat.username}"
            password="${tomcat.password}"
            url     ="${tomcatURL}"
            path    ="/"/>
        <deploy
            taskname="deploy-context"
            username="${tomcat.username}"
            password="${tomcat.password}"
            url     ="${tomcatURL}"
            path    ="/"
            war     ="file:${basedir}/${project.war}"/>
    </target>