Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Ole Ersoy <ol...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/17 20:49:29 UTC

[Math] Github vs. ASF Repo vs. Rest of World (Non Apache Github Users)

Hi,

I'm following the discussion of how MATH-1138 was handled (Which I enjoy reading because I'm very impressed with how eloquently everyone communicates their points of view).

Just a warning that I might be ignoring [2] (Stolen from Gilles), because I have suggested this before:
==================================
Keep discussions in Github issues
==================================

This would have the following benefits:
- All Github users can follow the project just by clicking "Watch" (Which is what a lot of developers (World outside of Apache) are becoming accustomed to, and they might be confused by the fact that this is not the workflow)
- The mailing list could watch the Github issue so that trivial discussions could be kept on the list, and the really important points / final decisions summarized in the issue.
- It makes it easy to lookup workflow history.  All the information / history is bound to the issue (Design, debate, links to pull requests, etc.).
- It eliminates missed communication.
- The commons math communication would be automatically filtered (Currently it's bundled with all Commons communication)
- You can have it all:
https://github.com/joeyh/github-backup

Even though the agreed upon protocol right now is to discuss everything on the mailing list, in practice it's both the mailing list and issues, and this is causing the type of extra work effort we are seeing with respect to MATH-1138, in addition to every now and then individuals have to be reminded to move discussion from JIRA to the list.

[2] This is already after the self-censorship filter, on issues
     where I know in advance that challenging the adopted view will
     either be ignored or go nowhere... :-}

Cheers,
- Ole

Re: [Math] Github vs. ASF Repo vs. Rest of World (Non Apache Github Users)

Posted by Hank Grabowski <ha...@applieddefense.com>.
Ah, that is a more complicated question.  Those discussions definitely
aren't part of the repository.  As someone now recently bitten by the
confusion in where discussions should be taking place, I agree there should
be a good documentation of those swim lanes.  I'm new to contributing to
open source projects, so I unfortunately don't have any past experience to
how I would handle the information flow.  I thought that the original flow
of discussions in mailing lists leading to JIRA incidents and then
capturing the development notes within the JIRA incident, including the
pull request discussions, were good.  Obviously that didn't work out as
well in practice as I had hoped.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hank Grabowski <ha...@applieddefense.com>.

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@gmail.com>.
On 10/17/2014 03:12 PM, sebb wrote:
> On 17 October 2014 19:49, Ole Ersoy <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm following the discussion of how MATH-1138 was handled (Which I enjoy
>> reading because I'm very impressed with how eloquently everyone communicates
>> their points of view).
>>
>> Just a warning that I might be ignoring [2] (Stolen from Gilles), because I
>> have suggested this before:
>> could be kept on the list, and the really important points / final decisions
>> summarized in the issue.
>> - It makes it easy to lookup workflow history.  All the information /
>> history is bound to the issue (Design, debate, links to pull requests,
>> etc.).
>> - It eliminates missed communication.
>> - The commons math communication would be automatically filtered (Currently
>> it's bundled with all Commons communication)
>> - You can have it all:
>> https://github.com/joeyh/github-backup
>>
>> Even though the agreed upon protocol right now is to discuss everything on
>> the mailing list, in practice it's both the mailing list and issues, and
>> this is causing the type of extra work effort we are seeing with respect to
>> MATH-1138, in addition to every now and then individuals have to be reminded
>> to move discussion from JIRA to the list.
> A major disadvantage is that Github is external.
> It may not last as long as the ASF.
> If it disappears or moves, all the history is potentially lost.
All of us and the ASF can backup of everything:
https://github.com/joeyh/github-backup

It also looks like (Need to play with it) commit hooks can be used to sync the apache git repository, ensure that the apache mailing list is update with all communication, and trigger backups to multiple locations:
http://git-scm.com/book/en/Customizing-Git-Git-Hooks

Some projects hooks to trigger instant web site updates whenever the documentation is updated.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.