Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2019/09/06 09:01:39 UTC

Fwd: Git status update

[This was sent to private@commons, but does not seem to have been
forwarded to the dev@ list.]

Please note the penultimate paragraph about tagging successful
releases under rel/

AFAICT, we have not been doing that, so our release tags are not
automatically protected against deletion.

We should probably start doing this going forward.

Note that the rel/ tags cannot be deleted, so this needs to be done
very carefully.

I think the only change we need to make to the release process is to
add a new step at the end to create the rel/tag from the commit SHA.

We should be very careful about changing anything in the POM, lest it
causes the rel/tag to be created before the RC has been approved.

Thoughts?

S.
Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 at 12:54, Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> wrote:

> Le 24/10/2019 à 12:54, sebb a écrit :
>
> > Without a fixed tag pointing to a commit, AIUI the commit can be
> > eliminated through a force push.
>
> Force pushing a branch doesn't erase the tags along it nor its parent
> commits. The commit and the tag still exist in the repository.
>

> > That is deliberate, to avoid the lost commit issue.
>
> Git commits aren't easily lost. They can be recovered from ASF backups,
> GitHub, developers working repositories and from the affected repository
> itself until it's garbage collected.

AFAIK all of the above eventually expire, so the commit can only be
recovered if its loss is noticed soon enough.

Provenance is far too important to have to rely on such time-consuming
and non-guaranteed methods.

> > It's standard within the ASF now.
>
> It's a feature provided by the ASF infrastructure if we are interested
> in using it, not a mandatory policy. I'm not interested in more complexity.

But you don't seem to mind if someone else has the complex job of
recovering a commit?

> >> * it doesn't solve any actual issue
> >
> > Yes, it does solve an issue - see above.
>
> Sorry but no, it never happened in Commons, this is purely theoretical.

How do you know if a commit has been lost?

Commons was using SVN until recently; SVN does not have the issue.
Also force pushes have only been enabled recently.

AIUI the point of the rel/* tags is to guard against misuse
(accidental or otherwise) of force-push.

> And should it happen anyway it's trivial to restore the original branch
> from a developer repository.

Assuming that the missing commit is noticed before the developer resyncs.

> >> * we want fewer steps to our release process, not more
> >
> > No, we want as few as possible, but no fewer.
>
> It's possible to work without read-only tags, so let's not overload our
> processes even more please.

Of course it's possible, but is it sensible?

Re: Git status update

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.

Re: Git status update

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 at 09:28, Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> wrote:

> Le 09/09/2019 à 17:29, Gary Gregory a écrit :
>
> > What I meant is that, when we successfully create a release, then the
> > release tag should go under 'rel/' instead of ''. Sorry for the
> > misunderstanding.
>
> If the vote mail mentions the tag name and the commit hash I don't see
> the need to use read-only tags. The mail is archived all around the net
> and the commit isn't going away. The risk of losing a release is zero.

That disagrees with the statement made by David Nalley:

Re: Git status update

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.

Re: Git status update

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 10:42 AM sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 at 14:00, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > It seems like we really should put future release tags under 'rel/'
>
> Yes and no.
>
> I don't think the tag should be created before the release vote has
> succeeded.

What I meant is that, when we successfully create a release, then the
release tag should go under 'rel/' instead of ''. Sorry for the
misunderstanding.

Gary

Re: Git status update

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.