Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com> on 2013/01/24 17:51:55 UTC

Coloured output from our Python tests

Dear devs,

To make debugging the output of Subversion tests more of a pleasure, I use the "Generic Colourizer" utility "grc" [1], with a simple configuration [2].

The result is that I can run Subversion tests like this:

  $ grc .../merge_tests.py ...

and see nicely coloured output as shown in the attached screen shot [3].

My config file is designed for light text on a dark background.

There is an alternative usage of GRC which works better in some scenarios such as colouring the output from a pipeline:

  $ .../merge_tests.py ... | ... | grcatconf.svn_py_tests

Happy hacking!

- Julian

[1] <http://kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk/~garabik/software/grc.html>.

[2] Attached files to be installed as '/usr/share/grc/conf.svn_py_tests', and '/etc/grc.conf' (the first three lines are the significant ones), at least these are the locations for Ubuntu 11.10.

[3] Attached file 'ColouredTestOutput.png'.

--
Certified & Supported Apache Subversion Downloads: http://www.wandisco.com/subversion/download

Re: Coloured output from our Python tests

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 03:41:40PM -0800, Ben Reser wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 8:51 AM, Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> > To make debugging the output of Subversion tests more of a pleasure, I use the "Generic Colourizer" utility "grc" [1], with a simple configuration [2].
> >
> > The result is that I can run Subversion tests like this:
> >
> >   $ grc .../merge_tests.py ...
> >
> > and see nicely coloured output as shown in the attached screen shot [3].
>
> Very nice.  You can just drop all the files into ~/.grc/ assuming you
> have a HOME environment variable set.

Perhaps commit this somewhere in tools/dev?

Re: Coloured output from our Python tests

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.