Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by David Lloyd <ll...@adam.com.au> on 2007/10/02 09:02:31 UTC

Using ApacheMQ with SJSAS

Hi There,

I want to be able to use ApacheMQ with SJSAS (or Glassfish), however I'm
not quite certain how to go about it. I'll state what I want to do, what
parameters I have and then what I have read or done:

* Specifically, I have some PHP and Perl clients which will need to
   speak with the Message Broker

   - given that PHP and Perl both have Stomp modules of reasonable
     stability, it struck me that ApacheMQ would be a reasonable choice

* I have a predominantly Java financial system (which isn't going to go
   away) which will eventually be hosted by SJSAS, or for that matter any
   other suitable container

Now:

* It doesn't bother me if I use SJSAS' native JMS implementation and
   somehow bridge ApacheQ and it together

   - I'm prepared to sacrifice speed/memory usage for a seemingly
     contiguous message queue

* I'd prefer to replace SJSAS' native JMS implementation with ApacheMQs

* I may not know what messages or what topics will be placed over the
   queue; it might be an application error if a message is sent to a
   queue that doesn't exist but I certainly want to avoid having the
   message queue simply stop all messages if this happens

I've looked at:

* http://apachemq.apache.org/

   - and concluded that ApacheMQ can probably drop in *somehow* for
     SJSAS' native JMS implementation

   - to this point, I've looked at Ramesh Parthasarathy's Blog (1)

* I've managed to prove that my SJSAS' current JMS does work

   - using Netbeans I've managed to get the Java EE 5 tutorials' JMS
     examples working

* I've managed to prove that my ApacheMQ examples work

   - by using the example(s) in the binary distribution

I guess, what I'm asking is:

* Is there an easy way to just "drop in" ApacheMQ and disable/not use
   SJSAS' JMS implementation?

* Is there an easy way to bridge the two JMS implementations together?

It's highly possible I'm trying to do something that is _not_ possible,
or I'm asking the wrong question or questions. It's possible I'm looking
at the wrong information.

Any pointers?

DSL

(1)
http://weblogs.java.net/blog/rampsarathy/archive/2007/03/glassfish_v2_an.html#comments

Re: Using ApacheMQ with SJSAS

Posted by David Lloyd <ll...@adam.com.au>.
James,

(James Strachan said:)
> So it sounds like you just wanna mostly use ActiveMQ with PHP and Perl
> right? If so I'd recommend just running the broker via the shell
> script / windows service / unix service directly; then you don't have
> to worry about integrating into some app server and messing about with
> all that JCA stuff.

Not quite - whilst most of our code is in PHP and Perl, the code which
takes in more than 33% of our cash flow is moving towards a Java EE
based solution. There are various reasons why I've wanted to move this
part of the code in this direction, the primary one being that I can
suddenly get: security management, persistence management, transactions
and other "goodies" for free (so to speak).

DSL

Re: Using ApacheMQ with SJSAS

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.

--
James
-------

Open Source SOA
http://open.iona.com

Re: Using ApacheMQ with SJSAS

Posted by David Lloyd <ll...@adam.com.au>.
Zarick,

> I've managed to make it work, my notes can be found here:
> http://www.nixstyle.net/moin/TechNotes/Random/ActivemqGenericraGlassfish

Thanks for the notes -- I gave up attempting to get SJSAS to do what I
wanted it to do primarily because I managed to replace JBoss' native
message queue with ActiveMQ.

I'm relatively agnostic to whether my EJBs run on SJSAS or JBoss,
although I do like SJSAS' more friendly web-based administration tools.

But again, thanks for posting that; I may try it again very soon.

DSL

Re: Using ApacheMQ with SJSAS

Posted by Zarick Lau <za...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rob,

I've added my notes as:
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ACTIVEMQ/SJSAS+with+GenericJMSRA

But the new page doesn't show in
http://activemq.apache.org/connectivity.html

Is there any auto sync mechanism between the wiki and activemq hp?

Cheers,
Zarick

Posted by Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.
That's not a problem - go for it!