Posted to photark-dev@incubator.apache.org by Steve Donie <st...@donie.us> on 2009/09/28 18:28:05 UTC

first impressions

Hey all - just wanted to say congrats on the M1 release. a few first
impressions and a question:
I followed the instructions at
http://incubator.apache.org/photark/getting-started.html, mainly checking
out trunk from svn, mvn clean install, and then deploying the webapp war to
Tomcat 5.528 on my machine.

The first issue is documentation related - the site says

*Deploying PhotArk in Web Application*

After building the source code, deploy
photo-gallery-webapp/target/photo-gallery-webapp.war in your favorite web
application server (e.g Apache Tomcat)

Point your browser to : http://localhost:8080/photo-gallery-webapp/

The source code seems to have been refactored - I deployed
photark-webapp/target/photark.war

My bigger problem - the web app won't start.

I'm not sure what the problem is - I get this in my catalina log file:

Sep 28, 2009 1:09:28 PM org.apache.tuscany.sca.host.webapp.WebAppServletHost
initContextPath
INFO: ContextPath: /photark
Sep 28, 2009 1:09:28 PM org.apache.tuscany.sca.node.impl.NodeImpl <init>
INFO: Creating node: null
Sep 28, 2009 1:09:28 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Error filterStart
Sep 28, 2009 1:09:28 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Context [/photark] startup failed due to previous errors

I also noticed a small deploy problem in that servlet-api-2.4.jar is being
included in the war file - that dependency should be marked as compile time
rather than run time.

Re: first impressions

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 1:46 PM, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 1:23 PM, Steve Donie <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Just updated and build and deployed and all is working now - excellent. Now
>> to start hacking on it!
>> My current photo album is 99% static html, all generated by a huge nasty
>> perl program I started a long time ago and still hack at now and then. I've
>> been thinking about doing something different with it, and started looking
>> at Spring Roo recently. This is one more thing to look at and play with. I
>> like the direction you seem to be going.
>>
>> Steve
>> http://donie.us/
>>

> Cool, feel free to jump in with questions, suggestions, and help with
> enhancements, features, etc :)

Hey Steve

   Just checking if you had a chance to play with PhotArk and how was
your experience.

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende