Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Chamil Thanthrimudalige <ch...@opensource.lk> on 2005/10/24 11:44:32 UTC

[Axis2] ThreadPool inside Axis2

hi all,

Axis2 at present implements a very simple ThreadPool concept. If we can
come up with a way of using an external thread pool we can let the axis2
users use a more robust ThreadPool of their choice if need be. If an
external ThreadPool is not set we can do the same thing that we are
doing now. Providing a method like in Jetty 6, which is
setThreadPool(ThreadPool tp) with the ThreadPool implementing
execute(Runnable r) method will be an ideal method to do this.

Best Regards,
Chamil Thanthrimudalige.

Re: [Axis2] ThreadPool inside Axis2

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 07:27 +0600, Eran Chinthaka wrote:
> Hmm, does this mean we will have no problem in running threads in J2EE
> environments ? Hmm, if thats the case, this is a good idea. ( this
> doesn't mean we should pop up threads here and there ;-) ). .

Right .. if we have this then in a J2EE integration we could tie that
request to the J2EE runtime to provide the threads.

Sanjiva.

Re: [Axis2] ThreadPool inside Axis2

Posted by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk>.
Hmm, does this mean we will have no problem in running threads in J2EE
environments ? Hmm, if thats the case, this is a good idea. ( this
doesn't mean we should pop up threads here and there ;-) ). .
The two scenarios we are using threads are in invoke non-blocking case
and Async Message Receivers. So this will not be a problem with thread
pools.

Chamil, can you please create a JIRA on this, IF people here agree ?

Thanks,
Chinthaka

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 15:44 +0600, Chamil Thanthrimudalige wrote:
> hi all,
>
> Axis2 at present implements a very simple ThreadPool concept. If we can
> come up with a way of using an external thread pool we can let the axis2
> users use a more robust ThreadPool of their choice if need be. If an
> external ThreadPool is not set we can do the same thing that we are
> doing now. Providing a method like in Jetty 6, which is
> setThreadPool(ThreadPool tp) with the ThreadPool implementing
> execute(Runnable r) method will be an ideal method to do this.

+1 for making the thread pool externally settable. In fact, we should do
the same externalization for any other resource allocation need. Axis2/C
is doing this carefully (out of sheer necessity - unlike Java they can't
assume a fixed runtime environment .. everyone has their own APR/NPR/PHP
etc.) and we should do the same.

Sanjiva.