Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com> on 2008/10/10 16:44:10 UTC

Re: [lang] Java 5

Resurrecting this thread from 3.5 months ago as my
itch is returning:

--- Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> would mean that we have to
> thought that through.
> >>
> >> Removal of a *public* interface/method/class
> means that the API is not
> >> compatible, as it is not possible to replace the
> jar without breaking
> >> classes that use these items.
> >
> > I think we need to make a final decision on this.
> >
> > There seems little argument against moving to 1.5
> in theory. And no
> > one is concerned with using 1.5 features in new
> development. The one
> > open question is: "Should we rename the package"?
> >
> > * If we goto 1.5, we have to remove the enum
> package. It's been
> > deprecated for a good while and a source code fix
> is very easy. Any
> > client that is 1.5 based has had to remove it
> already.
> >
> > * We have a handful of other deprecated methods
> that we've said will
> > be removed in 3.0. We've removed methods in the
> past (I'm pretty sure
> > we did that for 2.0).
> >
> > I'm 50/50 right now. On the one hand, yes I think
> we should remove
> > things and it's not a major version problem. If
> people are having pain
> > it would be very easy to build a separate jar with
> the deprecated
> > methods. However.... if we are going to start
> writing new generics
> > code etc, it is going to be impossible to manage
> to keep that separate
> > from the existing code. How will people know what
> to code where?
> >
> > In which case I think we should just dive right
> into LangTwo now. svn
> > cp the trunk to a branch for maintenance, and
> release of the current
> > bugfixes if we ever need to, and start a new
> LangTwo on the current
> > trunk.
>
> *If* lang2 breaks compatibility, then IMO we should
> use a new package
> name, but moving to JDK 1.5 minimum doesn't
> necessarily dictate that
> (assuming that we release a compatibility jar for
> the enum package
> which has to be removed). IMO it would be better to
> go through putting
> in the JDK 1.5 features that don't break
> compatibility and building up
> a list of possible changes that do. Then we make the
> decision on
> whether compatibility-breaking features seem worth
> it. If it is, then
> lets go all the way, remove deprecations, change the
> package name and
> put them in. If not, then lets leave the package
> name and
> deprecations. We've had a similar discussion over
> Commons IO and IMO
> so far nothing has come up that seems worth the
> whole sale package
> name change - so I think making the decision first,
> without any JDK
> 1.5+ features on the table for consideration is a

Let's see, adding generics shouldn't break
compatibility; would varargs?  Beyond that anything
_added_ doesn't break compatibility because we're
talking about existing code with drop-in jar
replacement, right?  Have I correctly outlined the
differences between breaking and non-breaking changes
in this context?  If so, I'd like to go ahead and
start with the plan.  More likely I've missed
something; let's flush it out.

-Matt

Re: Re: [lang] Java 5

Posted by Hendrik Maryns <he...@uni-tuebingen.de>.
Viraj Turakhia schreef:
> +1 in moving to JDK 1.5.
>
> New contributor, but always wanted to see 1.5 supported libraries in commons.

+1, same remark.  I generified both Collections and Lang some years ago,
this might be of help, but I never got them compiling in javac, Eclipse
compiles it fine.  There is only one warning concerning generics left.
See http://tcl.sfs.uni-tuebingen.de/~hendrik/ (under the first heading).

And currently working on generifying CLI trunk.

H.
--
Hendrik Maryns
Herrenberger Straße 40

Re: [lang] Java 5

Posted by Viraj Turakhia <vi...@gmail.com>.
+1 in moving to JDK 1.5.

New contributor, but always wanted to see 1.5 supported libraries in commons.

-v

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 9:53 PM, Simone Gianni <si...@apache.org> wrote:
> Yes, I do agree, but again I'm completely non binding. Migrating code to
> new packages (or new classnames) where binary compatibility cannot be
> granted. Unfortunately I cannot foresee how many places would need to be
> refactored to support "double" classes/packages ... internally I mean,
> from a user POV they will call the new class in the the new package if
> they want/need support for jdk5 stuff.
>
> Simone
>
> James Carman wrote:
>> I'm +1 for moving forward, but I would rather change the package name
>> rather than break backward compatibility.  There are a lot of
>> libraries out there that depend on commons-* and you may need older
>> versions on your classpath to get them to work.
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 11:07 AM, Simone Gianni <si...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> non binding +1 for moving to new versions supporting JDK 5 features,
>>> even if breaking compatibility with older versions and rewriting APIs.
>>> There is a lack of good libraries like lang, beanutils etc.. in the
>>> post-1.5 jdks (see the recent thread i participated in regarding
>>> generics), and many projects are dealing with problems with generics,
>>> enums and so on.
>>>
>>> Simone

>>> --
>>> Simone Gianni            CEO Semeru s.r.l.           Apache Committer
>>> MALE human being programming a computer   http://www.simonegianni.it/

> Simone Gianni            CEO Semeru s.r.l.           Apache Committer
> MALE human being programming a computer   http://www.simonegianni.it/

The first right of human is the right of EGO.
--
http://www.xperienceexperience.blogspot.com

Re: [lang] Java 5

Posted by Simone Gianni <si...@apache.org>.

Re: [lang] Java 5

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Re: [lang] Java 5

Posted by Callistus Mendonca <ca...@gmail.com>.
+1 to move to jdk15 even if it means from ground up...

Cal

Callistus Mendonca

Re: [lang] Java 5

Posted by Simone Gianni <si...@apache.org>.