Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Chanwit Kaewkasi <ch...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/19 03:36:00 UTC

Spark enables us to process Big Data on an ARM cluster !!

Hi all,

We are a small team doing a research on low-power (and low-cost) ARM
clusters. We built a 20-node ARM cluster that be able to start Hadoop.
But as all of you've known, Hadoop is performing on-disk operations,
so it's not suitable for a constraint machine powered by ARM.

We then switched to Spark and had to say wow!!

Spark / HDFS enables us to crush Wikipedia articles (of year 2012) of
size 34GB in 1h50m. We have identified the bottleneck and it's our
100M network.

Here's the cluster:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/381580/aiyara_cluster/Mk-I_SSD.png

And this is what we got from Spark's shell:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/381580/aiyara_cluster/result_00.png

I think it's the first ARM cluster that can process a non-trivial size
of Big Data.
(Please correct me if I'm wrong)
I really want to thank the Spark team that makes this possible !!

Best regards,

-chanwit

--
Chanwit Kaewkasi
linkedin.com/in/chanwit

Re: Spark enables us to process Big Data on an ARM cluster !!

Posted by Chanwit Kaewkasi <ch...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Eustache.

There's the link in the second reply to an article I wrote for DZone.

Best regards,

-chanwit

--
Chanwit Kaewkasi
linkedin.com/in/chanwit

Posted by Eustache DIEMERT <eu...@diemert.fr>.

Posted by Chanwit Kaewkasi <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chester,

Posted by Chester <ch...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Chanwit Kaewkasi <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Koert,

Posted by Koert Kuipers <ko...@tresata.com>.

Posted by Christopher Nguyen <ct...@adatao.com>.
Chanwit, that is awesome!

Improvements in shuffle operations should help improve life even more for
you. Great to see a data point on ARM.

Sent while mobile. Pls excuse typos etc.