Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch.INVALID> on 2018/06/24 21:15:05 UTC

Hello,

I think initially netcat@ was created because it might have too much traffic. But looking at the archives I see dev@ has an average of 460 emails per month while netcat@ is much more spiky and reached its maximum of 350 emails during March while now it's at 30-40 emails per month.

Of course, emails are grouped into threads / topics so they are easier to follow or ignore. Thus, the load is not that much.

Enthusiasm is contagious and if people doing NetCAT care a lot about something it will spill into development interest too. And a development problem might invite some second look from quality acceptance.

I would like to hear your opinion and I hope that at the end we'll have a VOTE about this.

--emi

Posted by Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com.INVALID>.
On 06/26/2018 06:47 AM, Emilian Bold wrote:
>> I think this discussion should take place on the NetCAT mailing
>> list only -- and personally I'm not sure that it is the most urgent
>> discussion at this point.
>
> I think this further proves it's a bad idea to have multiple mailing
> lists. We aren't even capable of having a discussion involving the
> whole community!

It seems very odd that there isn't traffic about this on the NetCAT
list... I guess that strengthens the argument for merging the two lists.
NetCATters, if you aren't subscribed to the dev mailing list, at least
have a look at some of the threads re. NetCAT (best to click "view as
flat thread, sort by date"):

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/afa296b2564f811f872501d1729626eab54be56295d944a906257499@%3Cdev.netbeans.apache.org%3E

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/f64411c5882c299a98e242a5505fc926e1e078f32e00f2761c2d571a@%3Cdev.netbeans.apache.org%3E

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)

Posted by Simon IJskes - QCG <si...@qcg.nl>.
Why not wait with merging plans?

Speaking as an emeritus PMC member i would have been very greatfull if
there was a specialized testing community. So why not help them with
filtering out the traffic from developers, by providing them with a
separate mailinglist? A CC: to netcat would suffice to signal important
issues. If they want they can subscribe to dev as well.

If it turns out in 6 months that all netcat members are also subscribed
to dev, we can shutdown the netcat list.

G. Simon

--
QCG, Software development, 071-5890970, http://www.qcg.nl

Posted by John Muczynski <jo...@gmail.com>.
Yes, that's an awesome plan.
+1

Posted by John Muczynski <jo...@gmail.com>.
Yes, that's an awesome plan.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Brett Ryan <br...@gmail.com>.
I wasn’t going to say anything but my sentiment is the same. We’ve functioned very well this way for a long time, and nothing is broken. There is a lot of work to be done with the transition, lets focus on what is important.

I have been fairly quiet lately due to a new role in BigData and time constraints. I will likely be helping out a lot more in the future and am presently getting wider adoption in our CTO. My plan is for a lot of my devs and test teams to come join NetCAT, most of my QA team do not have an engineering background and for them they wouldn’t want to see dev related topics.

Posted by Brett Ryan <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Luca Mambretti <lu...@bizeta.net>.
As a NetCat member I've felt a decrease of focus and attention, most probably due to other issues eating up all the available coordinating resources, maybe this is also the reason of the currently low traffic as most of the participants in NetCat 9.0 already moved on to other things, (NetCat as always been a timeboxed effort).

But In my opinion this goes way beyond a simple merge of the 2 lists.

During the previous programs there were weekly reports on activities, measurement on traffic on the mailing list and various surveys to check the status of the release train in the allotted time-frame; in this version most of the time frames were blown and, as a consequence, most of the reporting and organization was blown as well, that is my own personal opinion.

I'm fairly sure these things might be, and probably should be reorganized to be more in line with apache policies, but I still feel the "Oracle sponsored" organization model has it's benefits, again in my opinion testing and development should be considered separate things as different issues and most importantly a different type of involvement are in play.

For myself I do not have the time to be fully involved in development, although I'd love to, but I do have time-frames when I can do testing, the NetCat model "oracle style" was thus very appealing to me, on the contrary having to move everything to development, has a negative feel, again my personal opinion.

It might work out in my case if the original time-frames and release based NetCat organization manages to stay, as I might be here for 9.0 but might not be here for 9.1, so assuming I still have the option to register for NetCat if I have time, or opt out if I do not, I would not care that much if communications go thou dev or a dedicated list.

the risk I see here is that some part of NetCat has always been composed of people like me, so if moving to dev and reorganizing means that I'll feel compelled to put in more time then I might just opt out completely instead.

I do not mean to criticize in any way how thing have been managed, I know changing everything is hard, I just wanted to point out a potentially different point of view, so that it gets considered.

Regards,
Luca.

> I think this further proves it's a bad idea to have multiple mailing lists. We aren't even capable of having a discussion involving the whole community!

Good point!

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.

Posted by Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch.INVALID>.
> I think this discussion should take place on the NetCAT mailing list only
> -- and personally I'm not sure that it is the most urgent discussion at
> this point.

I think this further proves it's a bad idea to have multiple mailing lists. We aren't even capable of having a discussion involving the whole community!

> Having a dedicated community focused on testing has always been a good
> thing -- whatever we do, we mustn't lose those dedicated people who have
> been so valuable and enthusiastic over many years.

Nobody is trying to scare NetCAT folks, that's a given.

Seems to me that NetCAT just continued work as if nothing happened: they got their Synergy VM, a separate mailing list and continued as before.

Posted by Chuck Davis <cj...@gmail.com>.
One of the really nice features of NB has been the fact that you can run
dozens of versions installed in parallel (I usually only have not more than
four).

I grew accustomed to living on the nightly builds and, fortunately, if one
doesn't work you run "uninstall" and wait a couple of days and try
again...assuming you are interested in the new feature usually announced by
Gj in one of his blog entries.  Seems like a few days before a new
"version" release the nightly builds were not available while the release
version was pulled together.  I found this procedure to be very handy.

Seems like this process could still be done with Git/Apache....why not?  I
think it's unique and I'm not aware any of the competitors who provide that
service (maybe Eclipse does -- not sure).  As I write Jenkins is building
#473 and I'm running on #470.  Maybe we just need to make the Jenkins
builds more obvious for those of us who like to bleed and keep the
"versions" on a cadence that is convenient for developers.  What is best
for developers?

My $.02.

Posted by Sven Reimers <sv...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 6:02 PM Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Jun 2018 at 13:34, John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Might every 3 months be pushing it a little?
> >
> > We'll constantly be in a state of picking fixes for release -> testing ->
> > fixing -> release -> picking fixes for release, etc..
> >
> >  Something like 6 months is a little more relaxed as it gives us about 4
> > months between releases to make changes, introduce new features to the
> IDE,
> > without rushing.
>
> Funnily enough, my view is that 3 months would be more relaxed,
> because there's less stress to rush a new feature if it's not ready
> when there's a new release cycle imminent.  Likewise, this was
> suggested on the basis of master being kept relatively stable, with
> new features mainly being developed in branches until they're ready
> for wider testing.  With cherry-picking of changes from master into
> the release branch (like is happening now), I don't see why all these
> things cannot happen in parallel.  A bit more Release Early, Release
> Often, with some NetCAT still in the mix! ;-)
>
> I think I'm up to 4c.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Neil

Sven Reimers

* Senior Expert Software Architect
* Java Champion
* NetBeans Dream Team Member: http://dreamteam.netbeans.org
* Community Leader  NetBeans: http://community.java.net/netbeans
                              Desktop Java:
http://community.java.net/javadesktop
* JUG Leader JUG Bodensee: http://www.jug-bodensee.de
* Duke's Choice Award Winner 2009

* XING: https://www.xing.com/profile/Sven_Reimers8
* LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/svenreimers

Posted by John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>.
Cool, seems the general consensus is 3 months, and so lets look at what the
plan for those 3 months could be:

I've updated my suggestion to show how I think a 3 month cycle would work:

Day 0-90: Development Continues and takes place in branches - as normal
Day 30: dev mailing list agrees to initiate a release. PR's not merged into
master at this time are identified and merged/reviewed as needed &  Code
Branched into specific release Branch & Jenkins updated
Day 30: NetCat Announced + Week of signups
Day 30-36: New and Noteworthy page created/updated (Useful for NetCat
process to see what new features they need to update their test specs
with) + Branding changes in the branch, etc...
Day 37: Test Spec Review Starts
Day 44-51: Last of the PR's are merged into the release branch(and master)
Day 44-51: Release Candiate 1 is Built & NetCat Testing Phase Starts
Day 74-81: Testing Ends (roughly 30 days of testing?)
Day 81: 72 Hour NetCat Community Acceptance Vote (use to be a survey, but I
assume now it needs an email vote)
Day 85: 72 Hour PPMC Vote
Day 89: 72 Hour IPMC Vote
Day 94: Release

I might be wrong here, but when we come out of incubation, we dont need the
IPMC vote so we could be releasing on day 89, then...

Regards

John

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>.
Might every 3 months be pushing it a little?

We'll constantly be in a state of picking fixes for release -> testing ->
fixing -> release -> picking fixes for release, etc..

 Something like 6 months is a little more relaxed as it gives us about 4
months between releases to make changes, introduce new features to the IDE,
without rushing.

John

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch.INVALID>.
Every 3 months sounds good.

--emi

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

In this earlier thread I put forward proposal for a timeline for releases,
to encorporate NetCat testing and voting.

Day 0: dev mailing list agrees to initiate a release, - Code Branched into
specific release Branch & Jenkins updated
Day 0: NetCat Announced + Week of signups
Day 0-6: New and Noteworthy page created/updated (Useful for NetCat process
to see what new features they need to update their test specs with) +
Branding changes in the branch, etc...
Day 7: Test Spec Review Starts
Day 14-21: Testing Starts
Day 44-51: Testing Ends (roughly 30 days of testing?)
Day 51: 72 Hour NetCat Community Acceptance Vote (use to be a survey, but I
assume now it needs an email vote)
Day 55: 72 Hour PPMC Vote
Day 59: 72 Hour IPMC Vote
Day 64: Release

Before I create a wiki page for this, lets discuss.  Is 2 months alittle
long to push out a release?

Secondly, what is our release cadence?  Are we planning every 6 months,
maybe attempt to keep some alignment with the JDK release cycle, or
something longer term, like 12 months?

Lets discuss what every one thinks is the right way to go?

Regards

John

On Tue, 26 Jun 2018 at 08:53, Geertjan Wielenga

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch.INVALID>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Junichi Yamamoto <ju...@gmail.com>.
> I think all committers must subscribe to the NetCAT mailing list. But
> I'm not sure the opposite is true.

I agree with that. Subscribed it.

Thanks,
Junichi

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
On 25/06/18 10:01, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 24, 2018 at 11:15 PM Emilian Bold
> <em...@protonmail.ch.invalid> wrote:
>> if we don't work on the same particular issue, we should get to know
>> each-other, at least by name....
>
> My recommendation as an incubation mentor is indeed to bring netcat
> traffic on the dev list, in the spirit of having a single community -
> systematically using a [netcat] subject line header for (visual or
> machine) filtering.

I think all committers must subscribe to the NetCAT mailing list. But
I'm not sure the opposite is true.

Has anybody asked _them_ about this merge? What do they think? Maybe
_they_ want to keep a QA _focused_ mailing list, completely isolated
from all these dev chats? Will the merge disturb the way they organize
themselves?

Cheers,
Antonio

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Jun 24, 2018 at 11:15 PM Emilian Bold
<em...@protonmail.ch.invalid> wrote:
> if we don't work on the same particular issue, we should get to know
> each-other, at least by name....

My recommendation as an incubation mentor is indeed to bring netcat
traffic on the dev list, in the spirit of having a single community -
systematically using a [netcat] subject line header for (visual or
machine) filtering.

Actually, given the many modules that make up NetBeans, it might be a
good idea to use [subject line tags] more extensively to help focus
conversations. The OpenStack dev list is a great example of that [1].

-Bertrand

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-June/thread.html

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 11:13 PM Sven Reimers <sv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...3. How about ensuring that NetCAT has a representative as part of the
> (i/P)PMC - then those people can just vote -1 on a release and we do not
> need any other additional means....

Note that release votes are majority votes, as per
https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html vetoes only exist for
code changes.

The way a PMC usually takes the "voice of the community" into account
is to listen to it and wherever possible act accordingly, but it's not
a formal requirement.

One way to handle this might be to wait for NetCAT to approve a
release before the PMC declares it final, and use alpha/beta etc.
candidates before that - but it's the (P)PMC who's in charge with
that, from a formal point of view.

-Bertrand

Posted by John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Adding my 2 cents...

1. NetCat is an important part of NetBeans release process, and we need to
find a way to make it work moving forward, in the Apache NetBeans world we
live in now.

2. I don't agree, in their current state for the dev and netcat lists to be
merged, I think there's a lot of traffic on both, and some people might
only be using NetCat for testing their favourite IDE, and don't need or
might want to care about the dev mailing list.  But I understand the need
to hear their voice/vote when it comes to releases, so if merged I won't
have a problem.

My concern is how do we see releases happening moving forward? are we
thinking every 6 months or a slower paced every 12 months or something else
entirely?

Once we know that, how do we build a process that fits a suitable timeline
for a release?

For example, lets say tomorrow the dev mailing lists agrees to initiate a
release.  What do we do, what process are we following?

Based on my understanding of Apache and NetCat I would see it roughly as:

Day 0: dev mailing list agrees to initiate a release, - Code Branched into
specific release Branch & Jenkins updated
Day 0: NetCat Announced + Week of signups
Day 0-6: New and Noteworthy page created/updated (Useful for NetCat process
to see what new features they need to update their test specs with) +
Branding changes in the branch, etc...
Day 7: Test Spec Review Starts
Day 14-21: Testing Starts
Day 44-51: Testing Ends (roughly 30 days of testing?)
Day 51: 72 Hour NetCat Community Acceptance Vote (use to be a survey, but I
assume now it needs an email vote)
Day 55: 72 Hour PPMC Vote
Day 59: 72 Hour IPMC Vote
Day 64: Release

That's roughly 2 months from the dev mailing list identifying a release.
Assuming everything is on the happy path.  Is this the process we want to
move forward with?  Or do we need to consider tweaks now, because to me,
once we identify the release process, and how NetCat sits in it now that
we're in Apache, then we know what to do with their mailing lists.

Regards

John

Posted by Sven Reimers <sv...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch.INVALID>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch.INVALID>.
> Their
> go/nogo should simply be done before we start the PPMC vote, where they're
> able to vote too if they like.

This is a separate topic. I dispute the idea that NetCAT should have a go/nogo about what the PPMC should vote on.

--emi

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Kai Uwe Pel <ka...@asia.com>.

Posted by Kai Uwe Pel <ka...@asia.com>.
Honestly, I fully with Luca's suggestions to have a separate list for
NetCat.

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch.INVALID>.
> Either way, it does need to be clear any dev decisions or direction needs
> to go to dev@ as netcat is not the place for community votes.

NetCAT members have to become aware of and get involved in voting.

It's also harder, for example, suggesting a new committer from NetCAT if (s)he is only visible on netcat@.

> It makes sense that everyone on dev@ is subscribed to netcat@, but does the reverse also apply?

At least for voting, they should be. But even general development concerns might be of interest to netcat@ people and they could give their own feedback on it.

And their names must show up often enough we get to know each-other. It's easy to delete / archive an email thread you don't care about afterwards.

> Be interested in the input of anyone on
> netcat@ who is not on the dev@ list, and the reasons behind that,
> before any vote on this.

I'm also waiting on this.

--emi

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch.INVALID>.
> Either way, it does need to be clear any dev decisions or direction needs
> to go to dev@ as netcat is not the place for community votes.

NetCAT members have to become aware of and get involved in voting.

It's also harder, for example, suggesting a new committer from NetCAT if (s)he is only visible on netcat@.

> It makes sense that everyone on dev@ is subscribed to netcat@, but does the reverse also apply?

At least for voting, they should be. But even general development concerns might be of interest to netcat@ people and they could give their own feedback on it.

And their names must show up often enough we get to know each-other. It's easy to delete / archive an email thread you don't care about afterwards.

> Be interested in the input of anyone on
> netcat@ who is not on the dev@ list, and the reasons behind that,
> before any vote on this.

I'm also waiting on this.

--emi

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Wade Chandler <wa...@apache.org>.
I think it would be good. We already have dev and user. The same reason we
decided to start with the 2 until we had any real need for more, versus all
the tech specific lists we had at NetBeans.org, seems reasonable, and to
apply here as well. If it is an issue, we'll know/see it, and if not, then
1 less place to look for info. So, +1 from my pov.

That said, it would be good to see the netcat members view on it. One can
certainly contribute there without all the dev@ noise if they like it, so
from their view, it may not be so simple. I really think that should have
some weight.

Either way, it does need to be clear any dev decisions or direction needs
to go to dev@ as netcat is not the place for community votes.

Wade

Posted by Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com.INVALID>.
On 06/24/2018 04:15 PM, Emilian Bold wrote:
> my suggestion is to bring all NetCAT communication onto the dev@
> mailing list.

Probably a good idea. I think separate lists made more sense when the
developers were Sun/Oracle and the testers were community volunteers:
we're all community volunteers now. Also, NetCAT has become much more
active in creating the test specs, but that really needs developer input
(how can non-dev testers know how something is meant to work?). And it
would give immediate dev visibility to questions about bugs as well as
giving insight into bug fixes to the testing community (which could
encourage learning the NetBeans code). Perhaps most importantly, it
would contribute to an overall understanding of the Apache Way of doing
things.

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.