Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Hadmut Danisch <ha...@danisch.de> on 2006/02/11 20:32:30 UTC

[users@httpd] Passing the connection socket to an application?

Hi,

I want to deal with the following problem:

Client A wants to connect to several services (TCP connections) on
Server B. B is running Apache as well, both HTTP and HTTPS.

Between A and B there is a firewall restricting access to ports 80 and
443. Simply putting the applications on ports 80/443 does not work,
they are in use by apache. Port natting is not possible, since A's IP
address is not predictable.

So what I want to do is to have a handler for a given URL, which
handles the request and then passes the socket over to the application
(starting it in the way inetd does), maybe plain or SSL-encrypted.

A then would call http://B/app/anyappl , receive a positive reply, and
after the reply would have a direct connection to that particular
application.

The question is: How to do it. As far as I can see the request
structure does not contain the socket.

How could I get access to the socket?
Maybe such a solution already exists?

regards