Posted to dev@plc4x.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2018/09/17 07:21:28 UTC

[DISCUSS] Do a first release?

Hi all,

as I have just merged the API changes back to master, I would like to start a discussion about our first release. I would like to prepare a Release Candidate (And write down the documentation for doing that) in the next one or two days.

I would like it to be a version 0.1.0 ... the next version being 0.2.0-SNAPSHOT you think that’s ok?

What do you think?

Chris

Re: [DISCUSS] Do a first release?

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi all,

I just added some tools to our repo that help validating our releases.
The code is highly "inspired" by the code from our friendly brother project Edgent.
We will definitely have to do some tweaking and fine-tuning here.

Also I added a documentation on what's expected for checking a release in confluence.

So I hope we're now all set and ready to go :-)

Chris

Am 19.09.18, 08:15 schrieb "Christofer Dutz" <ch...@c-ware.de>:

    Still need to finish the RELEASE_NOTES ... the first release sort of always requires to setup, create and initialize everything __

    Chris

    Am 18.09.18, 09:03 schrieb "Christofer Dutz" <ch...@c-ware.de>:

        Hi all,

        ok ... so we were missing that Nexus was configured to receive PLC4X release artifacts, that has now been handled by Apache Infra and I managed to stage a first maven release.
        You can inspect what is created here [1]. The source artifact that we will be voting on can be found here [2].
        However I am currently at a customer and will probably upload the real release artifacts (source bundles) to where they are supposed to be and send the RC email later on today ...

        Just thought I'd give you a heads up ...

        Chris

        [1] https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheplc4x-1000/
        [2] https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheplc4x-1000/org/apache/plc4x/plc4x-parent/0.1.0/plc4x-parent-0.1.0-source-release.zip

        Am 17.09.18, 16:29 schrieb "Christofer Dutz" <ch...@c-ware.de>:

            Hi All,

            Ok ... so I just did a first test drive and rolled that back
            I was informed by Andrey that even if I merged his changes and the pull request was closed, that the changes don't seem to be present in the current version.
            This is really strange and not the first time ... I think I should investigate what's going on here ...

            So we'll try to re-merge his latest changes and then I'll spin up the release another time (At least this way I could document what you have to do in such a situation)

            Chris

            Am 17.09.18, 15:09 schrieb "Christofer Dutz" <ch...@c-ware.de>:

                Just got this response from Kevin:

                "I just performed the release, it should propagate to Maven Central soonish."

                ... so it seems we have a go ... soonish ;-)

                Chris

                Am 17.09.18, 14:06 schrieb "Christofer Dutz" <ch...@c-ware.de>:

                    Hi All,

                    well I just did a first dry-run of a release and encountered two problems:
                    1: We are currently referencing an unreleased version of Apache Edgent (We could roll back to 1.2.0 but that version had security issues in its dependencies ... eventually I can fix this by overriding versions in dependencyManagement blocks)
                    2: We are currently referencing an unreleased version of the EtherNet/IP driver ... I already contacted the maintainer and he said He'll try to release asap. (We could exclude the enip driver from the release for now)

                    Chris

                    Am 17.09.18, 10:35 schrieb "Julian Feinauer" <j....@pragmaticminds.de>:

                        Hi,

                        I like the idea and I agree with 0.2.0-SNAPSHOT.
                        I think it is good to prepare a RC ASAP and give everybody some time for testing (I would like to do a lot) and then do the release.

                        Julian