Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com> on 1998/02/06 04:01:52 UTC

is something like this really patentable?

I could have sworn something like this was in my algorithms textbook in
berkeley CS classes:

>FASTER ROUTING ON THE WAY
>With Internet destination addresses set to increase in size from 32 bits to
>128 bits, computer scientists at Washington University have patented a
>mathematical procedure for speeding up router performance -- a process they
>liken to the game "20 Questions."  The router first divides the address in
>half and compares one half of it to a database.  The router then either
>keeps it or discards it in favor of the other half, and then repeats the
>process.  Using the procedure, a router should be able to find the needed
>information in no more than seven steps.  A number of large router makers
>are negotiating licensing deals with Washington U.  (Business Week 9 Feb 98)

Oh yeah, and you Canadians now have one less reason to feel so superior to
us Americans:

>IS BIG BROTHER REALLY WATCHING?
>A secret hearing of Canda's Immigration and Refugee Board was told the
>Canadian government paid $31-million during the early 1980s for
>state-of-the-art software to track Canadian citizens by interfacing with
>credit card transactions, banking data, driver's license information,
>pension records, taxation information, criminal records and immigration
>records, according to transcripts. The U.S.-made Promis system could provide
>details of a person's health care and even library transactions.  Updated
>versions are reportedly still being used by the RCMP and CSIS, but neither
>agency could be reached for comment. (Ottawa Sun 2 Feb 98)

	Brian

specialization is for insects				  brian@organic.com

Re: is something like this really patentable?

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Gregory A Lundberg wrote:
> Anyway, I think the method you're looking for is called a 'binary search'
> and should be in just about any text book on data structures or
> algorithms.

Errr. I doubt that. A binary search for a 128 bit number takes 128
steps, doesn't it? Or am I being completely dozy?

Cheers,

Ben.

Re: is something like this really patentable?

Posted by Gregory A Lundberg <lu...@vr.net>.
On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:

> I've been thinking about this, and I don't get it. It may be "like" 20
> questions, but there's no doubt that it is equivalent to 128 question.
> Clearly, the 7 comes from 2^7=128, but how? I can sort of see how
> dividing the thing in half may help, but... anyone got a reference for
> the actual description of the method?

I've given up trying to understand US patent law.  They're issuing patents
on basic stuff just because they don't have any _qualified_ experts
reviewing things.  The requirement that it not be obvious to an expert in
the field seems to have fallen aside when it comes to computer software.

Anyway, I think the method you're looking for is called a 'binary search'
and should be in just about any text book on data structures or
algorithms.  I guess the idea of using something other than a linear
search _might_ be totally new when applied to routers, so we should all
applaud WU for such forward-looking, original research.

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              email: lundberg@vr.net [205.133.13.8]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    voice: +1 (937) 299-7653

Re: is something like this really patentable?

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.

On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> Oh yeah, and you Canadians now have one less reason to feel so superior to
> us Americans:
>
> >IS BIG BROTHER REALLY WATCHING?
> >A secret hearing of Canda's Immigration and Refugee Board was told the
> >Canadian government paid $31-million during the early 1980s for
> >state-of-the-art software to track Canadian citizens by interfacing with
> >credit card transactions, banking data, driver's license information,
> >pension records, taxation information, criminal records and immigration
> >records, according to transcripts. The U.S.-made Promis system could provide
> >details of a person's health care and even library transactions.  Updated
> >versions are reportedly still being used by the RCMP and CSIS, but neither
> >agency could be reached for comment. (Ottawa Sun 2 Feb 98)

Our (canadian) government just decided not to cover it up.  I'm sure
you're all being investigated right now.

Dean