Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Alan Lehman <al...@gbutler.com> on 2008/05/12 19:37:30 UTC

SA-3.2.4 overload

Upgrading from 3.1.7 to 3.2.4 resulted in my server becoming seriously
overloaded. Normally I see 3 to 6 slaves running with scan times
averaging 5-10 seconds. After upgrade, 10 slaves (my max setting) were
busy constantly with scan time running 60 to 300 seconds. CPU
utilization pegged at 100%. Typical traffic is about 10,000/day.

I tried the following, but there was no significant improvement:

Disabling RBL checks

Disabling bayes

Disabling RCVD_IN_WHOIS, RCVD_IN_WHOIS_INVALID, URIBL_COMPLETEWHOIS

I installed SA-3.1.9 and processing seemed to return to normal, but I
get the following error:

Slave 0 stderr: Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/Mail/SpamAssassin/Message/Node.pm line
125.

Running:

Sendmail-8.13.8

Mimedefang-2.64

Clamav-0.92

Uvscan-4.32.0

SA is called by Mimedefang (not using spamd). Standard rulesets.

Hardware:

HP Proliant DL380 single CPU 2.4GHz, 4G RAM

Thanks,

Alan Lehman
George Butler Associates, Inc.
Creating Remarkable Solutions
for a Higher Quality of Life

Alan Lehman, P.E.
Electrical/Critical Facilities Group
One Renner Ridge
9801 Renner Boulevard
Lenexa, KS 66219-9745
T. 913.577.8829
M. 816.210.8785
F. 913.577.8264
alehman@gbutler.com
www.gbutler.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message including attachments, if any, is intended for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you.