Posted to user@tika.apache.org by "Allison, Timothy B." <ta...@mitre.org> on 2016/04/18 16:12:43 UTC

RE: Need Help

Ha.  I'm in the process of comparing mimetype detection results from DROID, Tika and 'file' on our TIKA-1302 corpus.

After that, I was going to compare our different encoding detectors on the corpus...I'll have a better answer in a few weeks.

Others on this list probably have more info, but our general Encoding detector tries to get the encoding from an html meta charset info, then the UniversalEncodingDetector and then the Icu4JDetector.  It stops when the first encoding detector returns a non-null answer.  That order was initially set in July 2012, and we haven't changed it since.

In short, this is an area for further analysis.

From: harsh kumar <ku...@gmail.com>>
Date: April 18, 2016 at 2:02:23 AM PDT
To: <de...@tika.apache.org>>

Hi,

I am using tika for detecting the encoding of a file. But I found that the results are not uniform If I use charsetdetector and universalEncodingdetector for the same file.

Can you please brief me with the major differences between them and their best-fit use cases.

Looking forward to your early reply.

--
Warm Regards.....*
Harsh Kumar

RE: Need Help

Posted by "Allison, Timothy B." <ta...@mitre.org>.
Haven’t gotten around to this yet.  Sorry.

Anyone else have any input?