Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Bowie Bailey <Bo...@BUC.com> on 2010/08/11 16:59:13 UTC

JM_SOUGHT_FRAUD

 I was looking through some of the spam rules, and I noticed that the
JM_SOUGHT_FRAUD rules are included in the main SA updates channel for SA
3.3.1, but the scores are all 0.  Is there a reason for this?

The rules from the sought channel have scores, but they are being
overridden by the main update channel.

--
Bowie

Re: JM_SOUGHT_FRAUD

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010, RW wrote:

>> 1) Rename the .cf file back to the original name so sa-update can
>> find it
>> 2) Run sa-update
>> 3) Rename the .cf file to z_sought_rules_yerp_org.cf
>> 4) Restart spamd
>
> Would it not be simpler just to do something like this
>
> grep -E "^score"
> /var/db/spamassassin/*/sought_rules_yerp_org/20_sought_fraud.cf >
> /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin/sought_fraud_scores.cf

Heh. Adding that to your sa-update cron job is a pretty good way too.

   USMC Rules of Gunfighting #20: The faster you finish the fight,
   the less shot you will get.
  4 days until the 65th anniversary of the end of World War II

Re: Sought dedicated AND stock channel

Posted by Bowie Bailey <Bo...@BUC.com>.
>>  On 8/11/2010 6:15 PM, Karsten Bräckelmann wrote:
>>> The problem is, that not only the sub-rules change, but with them the
>>> actually scored meta rules, combining these sub-rules by OR-ing them.
>>>
>>> That means, stale meta rules in stock will override the fresh meta
>>> rules, effectively discarding all fresh sub-rule matches.
>>>

>>> Bottom line: If the dedicated sought channel is more up-to-date and
>>> updated more frequently, using that one in *addition* to (faster) aging
>>> stock rules currently needs careful hacks -- to preserver the precious
>>> meta.
>>>
>>> Or, well, any SA or channel provided method, to tweak the order. SA
>>> method would be a new feature. Channel method would be a rename, to come
>>> last in alphabetical order.
>>>
>>> Bummer. :(  This is a real problem and worth filing a bug.
> On 12.08.10 09:13, Bowie Bailey wrote:
>> Would it be a reasonable idea to always read the updates channel first
>> and then read any additional channels?
> would couse troubles if you sa-updated only official rules channel.

Why?  What I was suggesting was this:

1) read updates_spamassassin_org.cf
2) read any other .cf files in the directory

If all you have is the official updates channel, then #2 doesn't apply.

>>  Or maybe have sa-update store
>> the updates channel as 0_updates_ so it should always be first in the list?
> from my point of view, including JM_* rules into SA updates was a bad idea.

I think it is good to be able to include those rules for people who
don't bother looking for the 3rd party rule sets.  However it does cause
problems for people who want to use the official Sought channel.

Also, giving the rules a 0 score kind of defeats the purpose of
including them in the updates channel.  If it requires custom score
lines to enable the rules, you might as well just take them out of the
updates channel and let people enable the rules by adding the Sought
channel instead.

--
Bowie

Re: Sought dedicated AND stock channel

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
>  On 8/11/2010 6:15 PM, Karsten Bräckelmann wrote:
> > The problem is, that not only the sub-rules change, but with them the
> > actually scored meta rules, combining these sub-rules by OR-ing them.
> >
> > That means, stale meta rules in stock will override the fresh meta
> > rules, effectively discarding all fresh sub-rule matches.
> >

> > Bottom line: If the dedicated sought channel is more up-to-date and
> > updated more frequently, using that one in *addition* to (faster) aging
> > stock rules currently needs careful hacks -- to preserver the precious
> > meta.
> >
> > Or, well, any SA or channel provided method, to tweak the order. SA
> > method would be a new feature. Channel method would be a rename, to come
> > last in alphabetical order.
> >
> > Bummer. :(  This is a real problem and worth filing a bug.

On 12.08.10 09:13, Bowie Bailey wrote:
> Would it be a reasonable idea to always read the updates channel first
> and then read any additional channels?

would couse troubles if you sa-updated only official rules channel.

>  Or maybe have sa-update store
> the updates channel as 0_updates_ so it should always be first in the list?

from my point of view, including JM_* rules into SA updates was a bad idea.

Boost your system's speed by 500% - DEL C:\WINDOWS\*.*

Re: Sought dedicated AND stock channel

Posted by Bowie Bailey <Bo...@BUC.com>.
 On 8/11/2010 6:15 PM, Karsten Bräckelmann wrote:

> The problem is, that not only the sub-rules change, but with them the
> actually scored meta rules, combining these sub-rules by OR-ing them.
>
> That means, stale meta rules in stock will override the fresh meta
> rules, effectively discarding all fresh sub-rule matches.
>

> Bottom line: If the dedicated sought channel is more up-to-date and
> updated more frequently, using that one in *addition* to (faster) aging
> stock rules currently needs careful hacks -- to preserver the precious
> meta.
>
> Or, well, any SA or channel provided method, to tweak the order. SA
> method would be a new feature. Channel method would be a rename, to come
> last in alphabetical order.
>
> Bummer. :(  This is a real problem and worth filing a bug.

Would it be a reasonable idea to always read the updates channel first
and then read any additional channels?  Or maybe have sa-update store

Sought dedicated AND stock channel (was: Re: JM_SOUGHT_FRAUD)

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.
> On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 17:30:40 -0400 Bowie Bailey <Bo...@BUC.com> wrote:
> >  On 8/11/2010 3:30 PM, John Hardin wrote:

> > > The current situation is: automatic rule updates are only generated
> > > when the corpa of recent messages used in the nightly masscheck is
> > > sufficiently large (150k+ of both spam and ham, IIRC), and that's
> > > been difficult to achieve for a while due to ham starvation. More
> > > volunteers to perform nightly local masschecks of fresh ham corpora
> > > and upload the results, or to maintain and upload non-private ham
> > > corpora to the nightly masscheck server, would be most welcome!

> > In case anyone else is following this...
> >
> > The sa-update process made things a bit more complex than simply
> > renaming the file after updates.  If that's all you do, then sa-update
> > loses track of the file and will download a new copy on every run.
> > What I had to do is this:
> >
> > 1) Rename the .cf file back to the original name so sa-update can
> > find it 2) Run sa-update
> > 3) Rename the .cf file to z_sought_rules_yerp_org.cf
> > 4) Restart spamd
> >
> > You don't have to mess with the directory, just rename the main
> > sought_rules_yerp_org.cf file.
>
> Would it not be simpler just to do something like this

Sadly, no.

Re: JM_SOUGHT_FRAUD

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 17:30:40 -0400
Bowie Bailey <Bo...@BUC.com> wrote:

>  On 8/11/2010 3:30 PM, John Hardin wrote:
> > On Wed, 11 Aug 2010, Bowie Bailey wrote:
> >
> >> Right.  And I'm checking for updates several times a day.  If the
> >> updates channel is not keeping up with sought, I need to make sure
> >> I am running the rules from the dedicated channel and not the
> >> updates channel so I have the latest.
> >
> > The current situation is: automatic rule updates are only generated
> > when the corpa of recent messages used in the nightly masscheck is
> > sufficiently large (150k+ of both spam and ham, IIRC), and that's
> > been difficult to achieve for a while due to ham starvation. More
> > volunteers to perform nightly local masschecks of fresh ham corpora
> > and upload the results, or to maintain and upload non-private ham
> > corpora to the nightly masscheck server, would be most welcome!
> >
> > If you watch 72_scores.cf in SVN you can get an idea of when the
> > last automatic update occurred.
> >
> > http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/spamassassin/trunk/rulesrc/scores/72_scores.cf?view=log
> >

> > Manual updates typically only occur for OMG! bugs or when the last
> > automatic update gets stale enough to be a problem.
> >
> > Moving the sought channel update to z_sought seems like a good idea
> > to me, perhaps Justin should do that at the root so that everybody
> > gets scores if they subscribe to the channel.
>
> In case anyone else is following this...
>
> The sa-update process made things a bit more complex than simply
> renaming the file after updates.  If that's all you do, then sa-update
> loses track of the file and will download a new copy on every run.
> What I had to do is this:
>
> 1) Rename the .cf file back to the original name so sa-update can
> find it 2) Run sa-update
> 3) Rename the .cf file to z_sought_rules_yerp_org.cf
> 4) Restart spamd
>
> You don't have to mess with the directory, just rename the main
> sought_rules_yerp_org.cf file.

Would it not be simpler just to do something like this

grep -E "^score" /var/db/spamassassin/*/sought_rules_yerp_org/20_sought_fraud.cf > /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin/sought_fraud_scores.cf

or simply paste the scores into local.cf

Re: controlling channel order (Was: JM_SOUGHT_FRAUD)

Posted by mouss <mo...@ml.netoyen.net>.
  Le 16/08/2010 15:53, Bowie Bailey a écrit :
>   On 8/14/2010 5:51 PM, mouss wrote:

>>> Hmm, a simple symlink, albeit (once) manually set-up, should do, too.
>>>
>>>     ln -s sought_rules_yerp_org.cf zzz.cf
>>>
>>> This would parse anything from the more recent dedicated channel, after
>>> the stock rules (and sought itself) have been parsed. Again.
>>>
>>> Yes, this overwrites the sought rules' meta definitions a third time.
>>> But that shouldn't be much of a problem, really. Also, any stale, unused
>>> sub-rules (see my other follow-up) will be ignored by SA prior to
>>> compiling the REs.
>>>
>>> This should work as a do-it-once-and-forget workaround to the issue,
>>> rather than relying on ghastly file renaming in the sa-updating cron
>>> job. The latter even is prone to race errors, in rare and specific
>>> circumstances.
>>>
>> or one can use two different directories:
>> - one for sa-update
>> - one for spamassassin (and sa-compile): keep the default
>>
>> and create symlinks in the latter. This way one can
>> - select the order of inclusion of all channels.
>> - disable channels without (re)moving their (downloaded) files.
>> - add ones own rules in the same directory
> That could work, but you would have to symlink both the .cf file and the
> directory for each channel due to the includes in the .cf files.

Let me clarify what I meant:

- you define a channel file which contains "first" channels. for these,
you symlink the .cf files with a 010_name, 020_name, ... etc
- for all the rest (be that other channel files or directories included
by the above cited .cf files), you symlink "blindly"

let me explain this with /bin/sh:

cd $sa_up_dir
for f in *; do
     ln -s ${sa_up_dir}/$f  ${sa_dir}/$f || true
done
cd $sa_dir
i=0
for f in `grep -v "^#" /path/to/channel.conf; do
     i=`expr $i + 1`
     mv $f ${i}_${f}
done

(this is intended to explain what I mean, now what I do...)

Re: controlling channel order (Was: JM_SOUGHT_FRAUD)

Posted by Bowie Bailey <Bo...@BUC.com>.

Posted by mouss <mo...@ml.netoyen.net>.

Re: JM_SOUGHT_FRAUD

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010, Karsten Br�ckelmann wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-08-11 at 17:30 -0400, Bowie Bailey wrote:
>> In case anyone else is following this...
>>
>> The sa-update process made things a bit more complex than simply
>> renaming the file after updates.  If that's all you do, then sa-update
>> loses track of the file and will download a new copy on every run.  What
>> I had to do is this:
>>
>> 1) Rename the .cf file back to the original name so sa-update can find it
>> 2) Run sa-update
>> 3) Rename the .cf file to z_sought_rules_yerp_org.cf
>> 4) Restart spamd
>>
>> You don't have to mess with the directory, just rename the main
>> sought_rules_yerp_org.cf file.
>
> Hmm, a simple symlink, albeit (once) manually set-up, should do, too.
>
>  ln -s sought_rules_yerp_org.cf zzz.cf

That's what I get for responding as I read a backlog rather than waiting
until I've read everything...

Re: JM_SOUGHT_FRAUD

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.

Re: JM_SOUGHT_FRAUD

Posted by Bowie Bailey <Bo...@BUC.com>.
 On 8/11/2010 7:15 PM, John Hardin wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Aug 2010, Bowie Bailey wrote:
>
>> In case anyone else is following this...
>>
>> The sa-update process made things a bit more complex than simply
>> renaming the file after updates.  If that's all you do, then
>> sa-update loses track of the file and will download a new copy on
>> every run. What I had to do is this:
>>
>> 1) Rename the .cf file back to the original name so sa-update can
>> find it
>> 2) Run sa-update
>> 3) Rename the .cf file to z_sought_rules_yerp_org.cf
>
> How about symlinking z_sought_rules_yerp_org.cf to
> sought_rules_yerp_org.cf? That might spare you performing the filename
> shuffle every time you want to update...

I thought about that, but didn't like the side-effect of loading the
whole rule set a third time.  The "filename shuffle" is in my update
script now, so it just happens.  I don't see a couple of mv operations
causing a problem in this instance.

--
Bowie

Re: JM_SOUGHT_FRAUD

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.

Re: JM_SOUGHT_FRAUD

Posted by Bowie Bailey <Bo...@BUC.com>.

Re: JM_SOUGHT_FRAUD

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010, Bowie Bailey wrote:

> Right.  And I'm checking for updates several times a day.  If the
> updates channel is not keeping up with sought, I need to make sure I am
> running the rules from the dedicated channel and not the updates channel
> so I have the latest.

The current situation is: automatic rule updates are only generated when
the corpa of recent messages used in the nightly masscheck is sufficiently
large (150k+ of both spam and ham, IIRC), and that's been difficult to
achieve for a while due to ham starvation. More volunteers to perform
nightly local masschecks of fresh ham corpora and upload the results, or
to maintain and upload non-private ham corpora to the nightly masscheck
server, would be most welcome!

If you watch 72_scores.cf in SVN you can get an idea of when the last
automatic update occurred.

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/spamassassin/trunk/rulesrc/scores/72_scores.cf?view=log

Manual updates typically only occur for OMG! bugs or when the last
automatic update gets stale enough to be a problem.

Moving the sought channel update to z_sought seems like a good idea to
me, perhaps Justin should do that at the root so that everybody gets
scores if they subscribe to the channel.

   There is no doubt in my mind that millions of lives could have been
   saved if the people were not "brainwashed" about gun ownership and
   had been well armed. ... Gun haters always want to forget the Warsaw
   Ghetto uprising, which is a perfect example of how a ragtag,
   half-starved group of Jews took 10 handguns and made asses out of
   the Nazis.                        -- Theodore Haas, Dachau survivor
  4 days until the 65th anniversary of the end of World War II

Re: JM_SOUGHT_FRAUD

Posted by Bowie Bailey <Bo...@BUC.com>.
 On 8/11/2010 12:17 PM, Karsten Bräckelmann wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-08-11 at 11:57 -0400, Bowie Bailey wrote:
>>> Yes, an explicit request by Justin to zero them out, specifically aiming
>>> at the rescore runs to prevent biasing the scores too much, AFAIK.
>>>
>>> The Sought Fraud rules are expected to be enabled locally -- that is,
>>> assign them a proper score in the site config cf files.
>>>

>>> In other words: To my knowledge and experience, they are rather safe to
>>> use. They have *not* been zeroed out due to bad performance.
>> I thought I had enabled them by using the "sought.rules.yerp.org"
>> sa-update channel, but apparently not, since that gets overridden by the
>> copy in the main updates channel.
> Uhm, yeah -- IIRC that's alphabetical order, and stock *u*pdates gets
> parsed after *s*ought channel.

I think you're right.  In any case, I confirmed with a debug run that
updates is loaded after sought.  Maybe I should run a script after the
sa-update that renames the file to z_sought... so it'll be loaded last.

Re: JM_SOUGHT_FRAUD

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.

Re: JM_SOUGHT_FRAUD

Posted by Bowie Bailey <Bo...@BUC.com>.