Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Richard Bair <rb...@yahoo.com> on 2004/12/14 02:16:48 UTC

Reactor & SubProject interdepencies

Hey Everyone,

I've read that Reactor will order sub-projects for
compilation based on those sub-projects dependancies.
So, if A depends on B which depends on C, then they
will be built C->B->A.

I assumed that to form these dependencies I would just
list a dependency for A like so in my project.xml for

  <dependencies>
    <dependency>
      <groupId>mygroup</groupId>
      <artifactId>B</artifactId>
      <version>0.6</version>
    </dependency>
  </dependencies>

I also have the groupId for all of my subprojects set
to the same value (in this case, mygroup).

I also put the following into my main project's
maven.xml file:

<goal name="mygroup-build">
    <maven:reactor
      basedir="${basedir}/.."
      includes="*/project.xml"
	  excludes="mygroup-build/project.xml"
      goals="clean,jar:install"
      banner="Building"
      ignoreFailures="false"
      postProcessing="true"
    />
</goal>

Finally, the project structure is set up like so:

/workspace
    mygroup-build/
    A/
    B/
    C/

How do I go about setting up these interproject
dependancies? Is it correct as I have detailed here,
and I just have a bug in one of my project.xml files?

Thanks,
Richard

Re: Reactor & SubProject interdepencies

Posted by Richard Bair <rb...@yahoo.com>.
Wow, David Jencks of firebirdsql fame! Didn't expect
to run into you here.

> I strongly recommend you try out multiproject which
> does most of this
> heavy lifting for you, i.e. you don't need any
> reactor targets.

So, is multiproject a wrapper around reactor?

[aside]
Well, I was going to use multiproject, but honestly I
can't figure out what is the "best practices" way of
doing things, and what isn't. From a noobs
perspective, Maven looks really powerful but I have
almost *no* idea what the preferred way of doing
anything is. Aside from having to learn how to script
in jelly, what goes into
build.properties/project.properties/project.xml/maven.xml
or what some obscure error means (the current one is
  [echo] Generating xdocs from POM ...
ASTIdentifier :
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException), there
are a pile of plugins with varying degrees of
documentation, but hardly any of which contain any
birds-eye overview. So, I ended up copying the Jakarta
Commons project, which uses reactor :).
[/aside]

Thanks David
Rich

Re: Reactor & SubProject interdepencies

Posted by David Jencks <dj...@gluecode.com>.
I strongly recommend you try out multiproject which does most of this
heavy lifting for you, i.e. you don't need any reactor targets.

david jencks

Posted by Richard Bair <rb...@yahoo.com>.