Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Nicholas Chammas <ni...@gmail.com> on 2014/08/03 22:35:02 UTC

Re: -1s on pull requests?

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 4:44 PM, Kay Ousterhout <ke...@eecs.berkeley.edu>
wrote:

> This also happens when something accidentally gets merged after the tests
> have started but before tests have passed.

Some improvements to SparkQA <https://github.com/SparkQA> could help with
this. May I suggest:

   1. Include the commit hash in the "tests have started/completed"
   messages, so that it's clear what code exactly is/has been tested for each
   test cycle.
   2. "Pin" a message to the start or end of the PR that is updated with
   the status of the PR. "Testing not complete"; "New commits since last
   test"; "Tests failed"; etc. It should be easy for committers to get the
   status of the PR at a glance, without scrolling through the comment history.

Nick

Re: -1s on pull requests?

Posted by Nicholas Chammas <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Aug 3, 2014 at 4:35 PM, Nicholas Chammas <nicholas.chammas@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Include the commit hash in the "tests have started/completed" messages, so
> that it's clear what code exactly is/has been tested for each test cycle.

This is now captured in this JIRA issue
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-2912> and completed in this PR
<https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/1816> which has been merged in to
master.

Example of old style: tests starting
<https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/1819#issuecomment-51416510> / tests
finished <https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/1819#issuecomment-51417477>
(with
new classes)

Example of new style: tests starting
<https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/1816#issuecomment-51855254> / tests
finished <https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/1816#issuecomment-51855255>
(with
new classes)

Nick

Re: -1s on pull requests?

Posted by Patrick Wendell <pw...@gmail.com>.
Sure thing - feel free to ping me off list if you need pointers. The script
just does string concatenation and a curl to post the comment... I think it
should be pretty accessible!

- Patrick

On Sun, Aug 3, 2014 at 9:12 PM, Nicholas Chammas <nicholas.chammas@gmail.com

Re: -1s on pull requests?

Posted by Nicholas Chammas <ni...@gmail.com>.

​

Re: -1s on pull requests?

Posted by Xiangrui Meng <me...@gmail.com>.
I think the build number is included in the SparkQA message, for
example: https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/1788

The build number 17941 is in the URL
"https://amplab.cs.berkeley.edu/jenkins/job/SparkPullRequestBuilder/17941/consoleFull".
Just need to be careful to match the number.

Another solution is to kill running Jenkins jobs if there is a code change.

Re: -1s on pull requests?

Posted by Nicholas Chammas <ni...@gmail.com>.

Re: -1s on pull requests?

Posted by Patrick Wendell <pw...@gmail.com>.

>    1. Include the commit hash in the "tests have started/completed"
>    messages, so that it's clear what code exactly is/has been tested for
> each
>    test cycle.

Great idea - I think this is easy to do given the current architecture. We
already have access to the commit ID in the same script that posts the
comments.

   2. "Pin" a message to the start or end of the PR that is updated with
>    the status of the PR. "Testing not complete"; "New commits since last
>    test"; "Tests failed"; etc. It should be easy for committers to get the
>    status of the PR at a glance, without scrolling through the comment
> history.

This also is a good idea - I think this would be doable since the github
API allows us to edit comments, but it's a bit tricker. I think it would
require first making an API call to get the "status comment" ID and then
updating it.