Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by "Loenko, Mikhail Y" <mi...@intel.com> on 2005/11/18 19:46:46 UTC

Contribution of security, crypto, and x-net libraries

With pleasure I announce the first contribution to Harmony on behalf of
Intel. The archive with the contribution is uploaded to the following
location:

The contribution includes the following things related to Java security:

1) Java Security Architecture (public API)
2) Java Cryptography Architecture (JCA) and Java Cryptography Extension
(JCE)
3) Java Secure Socket Extension (JSSE)
4) Simple Authentication and Security Layer (SASL)
5) Java Authentication and Authorization Service (JAAS)
6) GSS-API (JGSS)
7) ASN.1 support framework and documentation for it.

The contribution does not include security providers and login modules
except for NT and UNIX login modules, provided as an example, and a
Certificate Factory provider.
We have tested this code with BouncyCastle, GNU-crypto, and JESSIE
third-party security providers.

The code is a result of efforts of Intel Managed Runtime Division team.
One should be able to run this code with a 1.4+ compatible JRE/VM (we
tested it with commercial JVMs). Classes that require special support
from the VM are not included into the contribution. This is, for
example, the reason why there isn't java.security.AccessController
class. The implementation is done according to Java 5 specification,
with the exception of where Java 5 specific language features, such as
generics, are required. There are some package names starting with
com.openintel.*, but, should the contribution be accepted, these are
easy to rename.

Most of the code is pure Java, but where the native parts are required,
they are provided for Linux and Windows on IA-32 architecture.

Some folks at Intel spent some time over the last week trying to figure
out whether or not it is going to work with the recent contribution of
lang/util/io/net/nio packages by IBM, and the general consensus is that
they, mostly, should be compatible. We have verified that it is already
possible to run ant and the Eclipse compiler with this combination and
we are committed to work with the community to get more complex
workloads to work under Harmony.

The archive contains the README file that explains the things doable
with this code, but should any additional clarification be required, I
am ready to answer any questions. Please try this code out!

Mikhail Loenko,
Intel Managed Runtime Division

Re: Contribution of security, crypto, and x-net libraries

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
I'm with you, brother.  We'll get there.  Even though I still have to
work on a windows box, I won't let go of my mac...

(It's interesting that we now have to say "OSX/$ARCH" isn't it....)

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: Contribution of security, crypto, and x-net libraries

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Loenko, Mikhail Y wrote:
> With pleasure I announce the first contribution to Harmony on behalf of
> Intel. The archive with the contribution is uploaded to the following
> location:

> The contribution includes the following things related to Java security:
>
> 1) Java Security Architecture (public API)
> 2) Java Cryptography Architecture (JCA) and Java Cryptography Extension
> (JCE)
> 3) Java Secure Socket Extension (JSSE)
> 4) Simple Authentication and Security Layer (SASL)
> 5) Java Authentication and Authorization Service (JAAS)
> 6) GSS-API (JGSS)
> 7) ASN.1 support framework and documentation for it.
>
> The contribution does not include security providers and login modules
> except for NT and UNIX login modules, provided as an example, and a
> Certificate Factory provider.
> We have tested this code with BouncyCastle, GNU-crypto, and JESSIE
> third-party security providers.
>
> The code is a result of efforts of Intel Managed Runtime Division team.
> One should be able to run this code with a 1.4+ compatible JRE/VM (we
> tested it with commercial JVMs). Classes that require special support
> from the VM are not included into the contribution. This is, for
> example, the reason why there isn't java.security.AccessController
> class. The implementation is done according to Java 5 specification,
> with the exception of where Java 5 specific language features, such as
> generics, are required. There are some package names starting with
> com.openintel.*, but, should the contribution be accepted, these are
> easy to rename.
>
> Most of the code is pure Java, but where the native parts are required,
> they are provided for Linux and Windows on IA-32 architecture.
>
> Some folks at Intel spent some time over the last week trying to figure
> out whether or not it is going to work with the recent contribution of
> lang/util/io/net/nio packages by IBM, and the general consensus is that
> they, mostly, should be compatible. We have verified that it is already
> possible to run ant and the Eclipse compiler with this combination and
> we are committed to work with the community to get more complex
> workloads to work under Harmony.

We will work closely with you to resolve any issues you have to ensure
the two contributions work well together.

Regards,
Tim

> The archive contains the README file that explains the things doable
> with this code, but should any additional clarification be required, I
> am ready to answer any questions. Please try this code out!
>
> Mikhail Loenko,
> Intel Managed Runtime Division

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.

Re: Contribution of security, crypto, and x-net libraries

Posted by Ismail Donmez <is...@uludag.org.tr>.
On Friday 18 November 2005 21:10, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> (full disclosure... I am an employee of Intel)

LOL. Way to go IBM & Intel :-)

Regards,
ismail

Re: Contribution of security, crypto, and x-net libraries

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
woo hoo!

:)

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.