Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Robert Simmons <de...@arcor.de> on 2003/10/18 23:22:05 UTC

New CVS?

Lets face it, CVS is an OLD product. Furthermore, the development of CVS is
almost dead having few releases in recent years. At least this is my opinion.

What I am doing in polling the community of open source developers as to what
they think. I am seriously considering starting a project to replace CVS using
Java technology in the way that Ant has virtually replaced make as a build
utility (for good reason).

I am curious about the following questions:

1) What do you think about the idea?

2) What lessons do you think can be learned from CVS? Things done badly, not
done at all, etc.

3) What features in CVS do you believe should be deprecated and why?

4) What features would you like to see in a replacement to CVS that currently
are not available in CVS?

And for the Apache Folk:

5) Would you consider this an interesting project for ASF?

I look forward to your answers and comments.

-- Kraythe

Re: New CVS?

Posted by Robert Simmons <de...@arcor.de>.
I didnt know about that one. The page is an interesting read but they do a
pretty good job of keepign a low profile. Maybe Im just too embedded in jakarta
stuff. =) At any rate, one of the things I am tryint to avoid are many of the
things that C suffers from. Principally a lack of easy extensibility. One othe
the things about Java is the ease of extension due to interfaces and proper
extension point architectures.

The Eclipse project is the real mentor here. The architecture of eclipse is
phenominally easy to extend and enhance.

However it would make a good research site.

-- Robert

Re: New CVS?

Posted by Erik Bruchez <er...@bruchez.org>.

Re: New CVS?

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Robert Simmons wrote:
> Such hostility to Java on a Java newsgroup ... weird.

I think it's more about hostility to recreating things on an opensource
software list. Reuse is much appreciated in opensource.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: New CVS?

Posted by Robert Simmons <de...@arcor.de>.

Re: New CVS?