Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by WC -Sx- Jones <li...@insecurity.org> on 2003/06/01 01:46:22 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] cgi & perl

> If so, when I open it it clearly states "You really shouldn't change
> these settings unless you/re a guru". I aint a guru so I stop at that
> point.

Been there - got that t-short.  All I can say is -

Build it yourself. Become a guru.  I've been playing around with Apache
since version .9 on AIX (1995) and I am still playing -- why allow
things to get serious?

When you are ready to ignore the "vendor" docs and jump in with both
guns blazing - post back here and I will help you.  And, I would hazard
that if I cannot there are MANY here that can.

Apache's community support is as good as, if not better than, Perl's
community support.

Many of the readers, posters, and lurkers here all started off as
newbies - OK, Rich didn't; but most of us did  :)

Cheers/Sx  =)

http://InSecurity.org/
_Sx____________________
  ('>    iudicium ferat
  //\   Have Computer -
  v_/_    Will Hack...

               \|/ ____ \|/
               "@'/ .. \`@"
               /_| \__/ |_\
                  \__U_/

Re: [users@httpd] cgi & perl

Posted by WC -Sx- Jones <li...@insecurity.org>.
On Sunday, June 1, 2003, at 03:55  AM, Ken Shail wrote:
> The other obstacle that I hit was the htppd2.conf  versus httpd.conf
> issue.
> Is it as simple as Apache2 using the former and Apache 1 using the
> latter? Sounds obvious to me but I shouldn't make assumptions.

apache2 expects httpd.conf in the correct install path.  The formats
between httpd.conf files is about 95% similar -- the major exceptions
being PORT is no longer supported in Apache2 (use LISTEN instead) and
the other major issue is that you need to pick a *thread* model -- I
picked threadpool for my Solaris 9 Ultrasparc.  If you are on linux the
2.6 kernel is the one I believe supports threadpool -- otherwise
you must pick preforked process-based.

If you build Apache2 from scratch and try to use an old httpd.conf -
apache2 will give you very good hints as to what is wrong.

> I initially tried using webmin to administer Apache. That has been
> useful with other servers.
> Unfortunately it expects httpd.conf and couldn't find it.

I do not believe webmin is set-up to properly handle Apache2 as of yet
-- I have used webmin a lot myself and I have not seen Apache2 support
yet.

If you are ready to try to build Apache2 ytourself -- try this command
at the top level source directory -

./configure --enable-v4-mapped --enable-auth-anon --enable-auth-dbm \
--enable-auth-digest --enable-file-cache --enable-charset-lite \
--enable-cache --enable-disk-cache --enable-mem-cache \
--enable-case-filter --enable-case-filter-in --enable-ext-filter \
--enable-deflate --enable-logio --enable-mime-magic \
--enable-cern-meta --enable-expires --enable-headers \
--enable-usertrack --enable-unique-id --enable-proxy \
--enable-proxy-connect --enable-proxy-ftp --enable-proxy-http \
--enable-optional-hook-export --enable-optional-hook-import \
--enable-optional-fn-import --enable-optional-fn-export \
--enable-bucketeer --enable-static-support \
--enable-static-htpasswd --enable-static-htdigest \
--enable-static-rotatelogs --enable-static-logresolve \
--enable-static-htdbm --enable-static-ab \
--enable-static-checkgid --enable-http --enable-dav \
--enable-info --enable-suexec --enable-cgi --enable-cgid \
--enable-dav-fs --enable-vhost-alias --enable-speling \
--enable-rewrite --enable-so --with-z --with-mpm=threadpool

That, except for mod_perl2 and php432, is how I built my server:

Server Settings, sapi_apache2.c, mod_perl.c, mod_so.c, mod_rewrite.c,
mod_alias.c, mod_userdir.c, mod_speling.c, mod_actions.c, mod_imap.c,
mod_dir.c, mod_negotiation.c, mod_vhost_alias.c, mod_dav_fs.c,
mod_cgid.c, mod_cgi.c, mod_suexec.c, mod_info.c, mod_asis.c,
mod_autoindex.c, mod_status.c, mod_dav.c, mod_mime.c, http_core.c,
threadpool.c, mod_bucketeer.c, mod_optional_fn_export.c,
mod_optional_fn_import.c, mod_optional_hook_import.c,
mod_optional_hook_export.c, proxy_http.c, proxy_ftp.c, proxy_connect.c,
mod_proxy.c, mod_setenvif.c, mod_unique_id.c, mod_usertrack.c,
mod_headers.c, mod_expires.c, mod_cern_meta.c, mod_mime_magic.c,
mod_env.c, mod_logio.c, mod_log_config.c, mod_deflate.c, mod_include.c,
mod_ext_filter.c, mod_case_filter_in.c, mod_case_filter.c,
mod_mem_cache.c, mod_disk_cache.c, mod_cache.c, mod_charset_lite.c,
mod_file_cache.c, mod_auth_digest.c, mod_auth_dbm.c, mod_auth_anon.c,
mod_auth.c, mod_access.c, core.c

Server Version: Apache/2.0.46 (Unix) mod_perl/1.99_09 Perl/v5.8.0
PHP/4.3.2 DAV/2
Server Built: May 30 2003 08:20:23
API Version: 20020903:3
Hostname/port: 192.168.1.69:80
Timeouts: connection: 300    keep-alive: 300
MPM Name: ThreadPool
MPM Information: Max Daemons: 3 Threaded: yes Forked: yes
Server Root: /usr/local/apache2
Config File: conf/httpd.conf

HTH/Sx =)

http://InSecurity.org/
_Sx____________________
  ('>    iudicium ferat
  //\   Have Computer -
  v_/_    Will Hack...

               \|/ ____ \|/
               "@'/ .. \`@"
               /_| \__/ |_\
                  \__U_/

Re: [users@httpd] cgi & perl

Posted by WC -Sx- Jones <li...@insecurity.org>.
Hmmm, interesting - my previous e-mail (containing configuration
commands and other black magic) must have been trapped by the "hall
monitors..."

If it doesn't show up -- e-mail me off list and I'll resend it to you.

-Sx-
http://InSecurity.org/
_Sx____________________
  ('>    iudicium ferat
  //\   Have Computer -
  v_/_    Will Hack...

               \|/ ____ \|/
               "@'/ .. \`@"
               /_| \__/ |_\
                  \__U_/

Re: [users@httpd] cgi & perl

Posted by WC -Sx- Jones <li...@insecurity.org>.
On Sunday, June 1, 2003, at 03:55  AM, Ken Shail wrote:

> Unfortunately it expects httpd.conf and couldn't find it.

Also, I almost forgot, here is my httpd.conf file (Apache2) at:

http://insecurity.org/httpd.conf

Get it quick as that file will disappear during the next Server DocRoot
rebuild.

HTH/Sx

http://InSecurity.org/
_Sx____________________
  ('>    iudicium ferat
  //\   Have Computer -
  v_/_    Will Hack...

               \|/ ____ \|/
               "@'/ .. \`@"
               /_| \__/ |_\
                  \__U_/

Re: [users@httpd] cgi & perl

Re: [users@httpd] cgi & perl

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Sat, 31 May 2003, Joseph A Nagy Jr wrote:

> > PS - I was just kidding about Rich - if he is human -- then he puts his
> > pants on one leg at a time like the rest of us.
>
> Ah, well I was referring to Rich not ever being a newbie. :-p

I assure you, I started as a newbie. I have no illusions about the
limits of my ignorance. ;-)

--
Who can say where the road goes
Where the day flows

Re: [users@httpd] cgi & perl

Posted by Joseph A Nagy Jr <jo...@charter.net>.

Re: [users@httpd] cgi & perl

Posted by WC -Sx- Jones <li...@insecurity.org>.

Re: [users@httpd] cgi & perl

Posted by Joseph A Nagy Jr <jo...@charter.net>.
WC -Sx- Jones wrote:
<snip>
> Many of the readers, posters, and lurkers here all started off as
> newbies - OK, Rich didn't; but most of us did  :)

Oh? How's that?

BTW, I only pay attention to the docs when I'm trying to do something in
Apache that isn't very well commented (or don't understand the comments)
in the httpd.conf file. ;)

and the -4 Shield of No Spell Checker