Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Matthew Newton <mc...@leicester.ac.uk> on 2005/03/10 16:41:11 UTC

Obvious spam (from subject) getting through

Hi

Anyone got a rule to catch e-mails I've been getting with this subject?

Subject: intelligent XANAA, V1CODD1N, S0MMA, CODE1NE, V1AAGRRA, C1AAL1S, Z0L0FT, \/AL1IUM & MANY MORE AT CHEEAP added happen

Only rule that has much effect is a SARE subject rule I've just added to
my collection, but it seems it should be easy to catch this?

        Pts Rule name              Description
        ---- ---------------------- ---------------------------------------
        3.3 SARE_SUB_CHEAP_OB      subject has obfuscated spammer topic
        0.2 HTTP_EXCESSIVE_ESCAPES URI: Completely unnecessary %-escapes inside a URL
        0.0 HTML_40_50             BODY: Message is 40% to 50% HTML
        0.0 BAYES_50               BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 40 to 60% [score: 0.5000]
        0.1 HTML_FONT_BIG          BODY: HTML tag for a big font size

If there isn't a "standard" rule out there then I'll put one together
for it.

Thanks!

--
Matthew Newton <mc...@le.ac.uk>

UNIX and e-mail Systems Administrator, Network Support Section,
Computer Centre, University of Leicester,
Leicester LE1 7RH, United Kingdom

Re: Obvious spam (from subject) getting through

Posted by Martin Hepworth <ma...@solid-state-logic.com>.
Matthew

the antidrug.cf on www.rulesemporium.com? But that should be part of the
base SA 3 set (20_drugs.cf).

If you can put up the full email on a web/ftpsite I can run again my
setup which has lots of SARE rules and I'll drop back the rules I hit.

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

Matthew Newton wrote:
> Hi
>
> Anyone got a rule to catch e-mails I've been getting with this subject?
>
> Subject: intelligent XANAA, V1CODD1N, S0MMA, CODE1NE, V1AAGRRA, C1AAL1S, Z0L0FT, \/AL1IUM & MANY MORE AT CHEEAP added happen
>
> Only rule that has much effect is a SARE subject rule I've just added to
> my collection, but it seems it should be easy to catch this?

>         Pts Rule name              Description
>         ---- ---------------------- ---------------------------------------
>         3.3 SARE_SUB_CHEAP_OB      subject has obfuscated spammer topic
>         0.2 HTTP_EXCESSIVE_ESCAPES URI: Completely unnecessary %-escapes inside a URL
>         0.0 HTML_40_50             BODY: Message is 40% to 50% HTML
>         0.0 HTML_MESSAGE           BODY: HTML included in message
>         0.0 BAYES_50               BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 40 to 60% [score: 0.5000]
>         0.1 HTML_FONT_BIG          BODY: HTML tag for a big font size
>
> If there isn't a "standard" rule out there then I'll put one together
> for it.
>
> Thanks!

the system manager.

Re: Obvious spam (from subject) getting through

Posted by Robert Menschel <Ro...@Menschel.net>.
Hello Matthew,

Thursday, March 10, 2005, 7:41:11 AM, you wrote:

MN> Hi

MN> Anyone got a rule to catch e-mails I've been getting with this subject?

MN> Subject: intelligent XANAA, V1CODD1N, S0MMA, CODE1NE, V1AAGRRA,
MN> C1AAL1S, Z0L0FT, \/AL1IUM & MANY MORE AT CHEEAP added happen

MN> Only rule that has much effect is a SARE subject rule I've just
MN> added to my collection, but it seems it should be easy to catch
MN> this?

I'm guessing that the 3.0 adoption of antidrug didn't catch this
primarily because the obfuscations used here were carefully crafted to
avoid obfuscation-detecting rules. I'm surprised the z0l0ft word
didn't hit, but I can see why the others might have missed.

If you and others can send me as many examples of obfuscated drug
names used in subjects as possible, Matt Kettler and I can go through
them and build a good set of rules to go into either a new antidrug.cf
or the genlsubj file set.

Thanks.

Bob Menschel