Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by vikas srivastava <vi...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/11 17:36:48 UTC

Re: Search in solr

I am using django haystack using solr backend. I am creating index with a
field of indexes.CharField which translates to text_en type file in
schema.xml. As the size of my field in django is unknown, search using solr
is only working for the first 900-1000 words, Searching for ords after
these many fields returns no result. Kindly help.

I am using
django 1.3.1
haystack 2.0.0-beta
pysolr 2.1.0-beta
apache-solr-3.5.0

Thanking you
--
Vikas

Re: Search in solr

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>.
You can try directly querying Solr to see if your entire text value was
stored, but I suspect that somewhere in django the length is being limited
and the remaining words are being discarded - before Solr ever sees the
value.

Check "max_length" for your CharField.

I believe that the django docs say "For large amounts of text, use
TextField", so you should use TextField in django, or make sure max_length
for CharField is like 200K or whatever limit you need.

Generally, only use CharField if the string is reasonably short, like a name
or title. A large block of text, even a paragraph, should be a TextField.

-- Jack Krupansky