Posted to dev@kudu.apache.org by Andrew Wong <aw...@apache.org> on 2020/07/20 19:23:04 UTC

Hello Kudu developers!

I've been discussing with some folks about the current state of this (dev@)
mailing list, which has recently gained more traffic from the "Daily KUDU
ARM64 Cron Job." Several people have noticed the alerts becoming quite
noisy, and crowding the inbox, with very little visibility into the issue,
who is working on fixing it, etc. This doesn't seem like the best use of
dev@, which historically has been more for design and developer-related
discussions.

There are some suggestions in KUDU-3007
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KUDU-3007> with regards to less
trivial testing infra improvements that can be made to incorporate ARM
testing with the rest of Kudu's CI pipeline. Grant and I have also been
discussing the possibility getting a more widely available ARM build via
dockerx. These projects, while important, may not have as many developer
cycles as we'd like to get them through the finish line, at least for the
next few weeks.

So until these materialize, one suggestion is to create a new mailing list,
builds@k.a.o, to catch these, and other build-related issues. Today, such
build failures may be reported on Slack at #kudu-general or #kudu-macos, or
on Jira -- it might be nice to have a single, archived, searchable list to
document such issues, as well as catch these kinds of CI emails for the
time being.

Other projects have similar "builds" mailing lists
<https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/>; it doesn't seem unreasonable
to start one for Kudu as well, so per the ASF Mailing List Moderation
guidelines <https://infra.apache.org/mailing-list-moderation.html>, I'm
surfacing this to discuss a bit here. If there's agreement on this being a
useful list to have, I'll send out a request to create it.

Thanks,
Andrew

Posted by Sheng Liu <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andrew,
Thank for doing this, I have change the ARM CI configurations to use the
builds@kudu.apache.org, let's see if it works.

Regards
---
Liu sheng