Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net> on 2018/09/28 19:07:09 UTC

Options, options (was Re: NetBeans javadoc at Apache)

Hi all,

I'm re-reading the thread and that suggests netbeans.apache.org, but the
Confluence page suggests bits.netbeans.org. I'm confused, don't know if
we have an agreement on this. Have we?

Options are:

1- netbeans.apache.org/javadoc/[dev|9.0|10.0]
This will require a jenkins job.

2- http://bits.netbeans.org/dev/javadoc/index.html
Requires the DNS stuff being in Apache, setting up a repo and a
gitpubsub, will lose previous (5.0-8.2) javadocs.

3- http://bits.netbeans.apache.org/[dev|9.0|10.0]
New Apache subdomain, will require a repo + gitpubsub, won't lose
previous (5.0-8.2) javadocs, can then replace bits.netbeans.org

Thanks,
Antonio

Re: NetBeans javadoc at Apache (Re: Options, options (was Re: NetBeans javadoc at Apache))

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
On 03/10/18 00:10, Antonio wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We now have https://netbeans.apache.org/javadoc/dev/index.html

[...]

> - Update the current jbake website jenkins job to avoid removing the
> "javadoc" directory whenever a change is published (pushing to the
> website will remove javadocs right now).
[...]

Done: we can now publish to the website as usual, by submitting PRs
against http://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans-website

Cheers,
Antonio

Re: NetBeans javadoc at Apache (Re: Options, options (was Re: NetBeans javadoc at Apache))

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 7 Oct 2018 at 10:58, Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> wrote:
> How about a compromise?  Let's pull this and manage it in the asf-site
> branch directly as and until we have an automated approach ready?

OK, pulled to asf-site.  I realise that was suggested in the PR, and
we know it at least needs to be in there.  We can figure out other
branching strategies later! ;-)

I've also put in a ticket to infra -

Any concerns, please pipe up.

Geertjan, or anyone else, can you double check I've mentioned all that
is on that domain at Oracle - old Javadoc and Maven repos.  Anything
else that infra should be aware of that might impact proxying?

Thanks and best wishes,

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Sun, 7 Oct 2018 at 07:32, Antonio <an...@vieiro.net> wrote:
> On 10/7/18 12:22 AM, Neil C Smith wrote:
> >  I was really
> > going for the simplest and quickest approach here for immediate needs.
>
> The idea is to avoid having too many files in the master branch.

OK, I understand what you're getting at.

> If each
> release delivers about 12k files and we have 10 releases then that would
> mean having 120k files in the master branch. That's going burn my SSD.

I don't expect us to get there.  This is about the simple, manual
approach for a couple of releases only.  Once we have this automated
via the release process then I wouldn't expect us to have *any*
Javadoc in the master branch, just the relevant tooling - eg. a
Jenkins task to unzip the artefact(s) and push to asf-site.  The
Javadocs for people to download should be in the mirror system.

How about a compromise?  Let's pull this and manage it in the asf-site
branch directly as and until we have an automated approach ready?

> OTOH I understand it's easier for ASF Infra to hold the javadoc on a git
> repo, but I don't like that. I'd rather have a directory where the
> javadoc is uploaded and then published.

Yes, me too!  I like the git deployment process in principle, but none
of the other things I use here currently involves pushing the build
*output* through git.  In fact, I'm inclined to have two repositories
in that case - one for the build files, one only for pushing
deployment artefacts.  It would stop the build output swelling the
size of the git clone for branches that are not intended to be used
locally at all.

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.

On 10/7/18 12:22 AM, Neil C Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 6 Oct 2018, 21:16 Antonio Vieiro, <an...@vieiro.net> wrote:
>
>> For 9.0 we could use a branch named "9.0-vc3" (same as the tag in
>> incubator-netbeans).
>

> I'm not sure I understand the reasoning for branching like that? Surely we
> could just as easily tag master? What's your thoughts behind it? It might
> make sense if the docs were at the root in all branches except asf-site I
> guess, but I personally dislike unrelated branches like that. I was really
> going for the simplest and quickest approach here for immediate needs.

The idea is to avoid having too many files in the master branch. If each
release delivers about 12k files and we have 10 releases then that would
mean having 120k files in the master branch. That's going burn my SSD.
I'd rather have 10 branches with 12k files each than a single master
branch with 120k files.

Of course, the asf-site will have to have 120k files, but you don't
usually checkout that branch (jenkins does that instead for publishing).

OTOH I understand it's easier for ASF Infra to hold the javadoc on a git
repo, but I don't like that. I'd rather have a directory where the
javadoc is uploaded and then published.

> It also reminds me, we should really have a 9.0 tag for that 9.0-vc3 commit
> in the main repo too.
>
> In fact we could update the jenkins release job
>> to push the javadoc to this new repo as well. And so on with the rest
>> of releases.
>>

> That's the next step I believe. But at the moment I'm not sure the
> templates are set up for that. I'd really like to understand better how
> release Javadocs were done before. IMO we should do this manually for 9 and
> 10, and then have another look.

Agreed.

Kind regards,
Antonio

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 4 Oct 2018 at 20:32, Geertjan Wielenga
<ge...@googlemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> If we want mentors to do something we need to start a new thread with
> Mentors in the subject line.

I added it to the subject line, but it seems that might not be
registering as a new thread.  OK, will take 2!

Thanks,

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
If we want mentors to do something we need to start a new thread with
Mentors in the subject line.

 Great we’re making progress on the javadoc!

Gj

[Mentors] Re: NetBeans javadoc at Apache (Re: Options, options (was Re: NetBeans javadoc at Apache))

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Antonio Vieiro <an...@vieiro.net>.
I was thinking we could merge to another branch instead of to master.

For 9.0 we could use a branch named "9.0-vc3" (same as the tag in
incubator-netbeans). In fact we could update the jenkins release job
to push the javadoc to this new repo as well. And so on with the rest
of releases.

We then could merge all these into asf-site for publishing.

What say?

Cheers,
Antonio

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Yes indeed! I'm big fan of it as well.

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Hi Neil,

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Hi,

Adding 9.0 will require checking out the 9.0 branch, building javadoc
and publishing it. I don't think it's worth building a jenkins for this,
but it would be good having it for future NetBeans releases.

I think it's worth exploring the proxy approach Neil was talking about
in another thread. In order to do that we should know how the DNS
transfer is going.

Cheers,
Antonio

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Hi all,

We now have https://netbeans.apache.org/javadoc/dev/index.html

This is experimental. Things may be still syncing (if you see a 404
please retry). Note that we're uploading .zip files for each module
([1], [2]) as well.

Jenkins job is at
https://builds.apache.org/view/Incubator%20Projects/job/incubator-netbeans-website-javadoc/
the initial commit [3] is quite big: more than 13000 files and 3.3
million changes. Subsequent commits should be smaller now that we have

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Hi Gj,

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Ok. Let's go for the demo.

First let's add the timestamp on the javadocs inside the css only (with
a footnote:before { content: "${TODAY}"} or something like that), and

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
Quick response!

I should have said proxy not redirect. That was what Daniel? suggested. No
changes needed on the Oracle side.

I realise we can literally bypass JBake, but just suggesting that for now
we keep it out of the main site gitpubsub process entirely until we're sure
what we do with it.

Neil

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.

Posted by John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>.
Hi Antonio,

To be honest I think there's a 4th option.

If we get the Maven artefacts built and deployed we can also deploy javadoc
artefacts to maven central.

Then we can use https://www.javadoc.io/ and provide a link on our website
to this. Each release will have javadocs accessible from there after 24
hours.

Regards

John

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.